Sugar free biscuits

JanetS

I found these recently, a brand called Devon Healthline, Tea Biscuits, sugar free, suitable for diabetics (and made in Malta). They are OK, like a Rich Tea, and I've nearly finished the packet.

But do you think I can find out where I got them from??? :x I cannot even find the receipt, showing the purchase. ( :x :x yes, 2 of these!).

And the REALLY annoying part is, my Mum came home from a week in Malta yesterday. Had I checked the packet earlier I could have asked her to find some for me.

Grrr.

Has anyone else noticed them for sale anywhere, please? Many thanks.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
JanetS said:
I found these recently, a brand called Devon Healthline, Tea Biscuits, sugar free, suitable for diabetics (and made in Malta). They are OK, like a Rich Tea, and I've nearly finished the packet.

But do you think I can find out where I got them from??? :x I cannot even find the receipt, showing the purchase. ( :x :x yes, 2 of these!).

And the REALLY annoying part is, my Mum came home from a week in Malta yesterday. Had I checked the packet earlier I could have asked her to find some for me.

Grrr.

Has anyone else noticed them for sale anywhere, please? Many thanks.

Any idea of the carb content per biscuit ??

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
tesco's are doing sugar free shortbread biscuits for 79p a packet, and they are lovley.

JanetS

cugila, they give per 100g content, which is carb 75.1, of which sugars <0.5g.

I'll look out for the shortbread ones. Thanks.

JanetS

Oh, and forgot to reply that I bought them here in the UK just recently. It was Mum who was in Malta and could have looked out for them for me!

I just know that I got them in one of our supermarkets.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
JanetS said:
cugila, they give per 100g content, which is carb 75.1, of which sugars <0.5g.

I'll look out for the shortbread ones. Thanks.

75.1 gm of carb !!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Carbohydrate is sugar!!Diabetes is an inability to metabolise carbohydrate properly so you need to look at the carb content not the sugar content. 75 gm of carb is more than I eat in one day.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
kay957 said:
tesco's are doing sugar free shortbread biscuits for 79p a packet, and they are lovley.

What is the carb content quoted on the packet?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Biscuits are fine as a treat, almost everyone loves a biscuit with their cup of tea.
From my own experience, I try not to eat them to often, but should I indulge, I have one after my evening meal as I eat low-gi meals normally, this tends to slow down the sugar rush.

Fav biscuits are ginger snaps, I could just eat a full packet! :twisted:

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Unless nut based, I don't eat biscuits any more. All carbs are a problem to me
Hana

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
It infuriates me that goods are sold as diabetic because they are sugar free. I was eating boxes of sugar free sweets when very first diagnosed. I didnt realise that they were 98% carbs!!. I understand that Boots are under fire for their diabetic range. Dont get me wrong - last night I ate a chocolate coated toffee and I eat a full sugar biscuit but as a rare treat, but I do know of diabetics that eat packets of sugar free products as they believe they are harmless.

Steve.

ditzeeblonde

I was given advice that anything under 10g of carbs per 100g is low carb & under 40g per 100g is medium carb... does that sound about right?

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Hi DB,
my personal method is to count daily carbs. If you eat lots of food at 10g/100 then you will still take on board a lot of carbs. I would not want to tell you how many carbs is a healthy diet as we all have different targets and methods, but in my personal instance 40g/100 would certainly be high carb.

Steve

Doczoc

ditzeeblonde said:
I was given advice that anything under 10g of carbs per 100g is low carb & under 40g per 100g is medium carb... does that sound about right?

I wouldn't get too hung up on the numbers if I'm honest, personally I'd consider anything below 50g as low carb, but striving for stringent definitions is not something I'm too interested in. Just eat to your meter and you'll be fine!

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
sugarless sue said:
kay957 said:

Energy 350kJ (85kcal)
Protein 1.1g
Carbohydrate 10.0g
sugars trace 0.5g

All above are per biscuit

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
10g carbs......per biscuit. :shock: 3 biscuits would be my meal total carbs !

ditzeeblonde

Bluenosesol said:
Hi DB,
my personal method is to count daily carbs. If you eat lots of food at 10g/100 then you will still take on board a lot of carbs. I would not want to tell you how many carbs is a healthy diet as we all have different targets and methods, but in my personal instance 40g/100 would certainly be high carb.

Steve

Thats what I thought... I tend to keep my carbs 20-30g per day. Was given those numbers as a rough guideline from my DN.

Thank you. x

bufferz

kay957 said:
sugarless sue said:
kay957 said:

Energy 350kJ (85kcal)
Protein 1.1g
Carbohydrate 10.0g
sugars trace 0.5g

All above are per biscuit

Hangon, sugar free biccys, yet each has 0.5g of sugar in them?? :shock: :shock:

Yes the carbs thing is a pain in the @rse, I got some sugarfree chewing gum, and thats 97% carbs (as polyols) :roll:

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
0.5 is natural occuring sugars, as do in some other foods. Another food stuff I like is the Atkins bars, low carb, low sugar, high protein, nice as a treat, I like the Chocolate Brownie one, it's delicious.

16 carbs per bar
1.1 sugars
18 protein
13 polyols

207 cals so only eat one now and again.

JanetS

*Bangs head on keyboard in bewilderment!* :?

I'm glad you pointed that out to me, sugarless sue! I just thought (probably, mistakenly!) that the sugar free part was OK, rather than looking at the carb content as a whole!

I think I'd best wait until I start my X-pert course on 16th February. Hopefully, after 3 weeks I'll have a better understanding. Seeing my nurse next Tuesday and I shall ask about self testing.