1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sugar free biscuits

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by JanetS, Jan 31, 2010.

1. JanetS

JanetS · Active Member

I found these recently, a brand called Devon Healthline, Tea Biscuits, sugar free, suitable for diabetics (and made in Malta). They are OK, like a Rich Tea, and I've nearly finished the packet.

But do you think I can find out where I got them from??? :x I cannot even find the receipt, showing the purchase. ( :x :x yes, 2 of these!).

And the REALLY annoying part is, my Mum came home from a week in Malta yesterday. Had I checked the packet earlier I could have asked her to find some for me.

Grrr.

Has anyone else noticed them for sale anywhere, please? Many thanks.

2. cugila

cugila · Master

Any idea of the carb content per biscuit ??

3. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

Whether they are healthy or not I don't know but the only place who sells them seems to be a Maltese shop called Pavi. Does that ring any bells?
    http://www.pavi.com.mt/

4. kay957

kay957 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

tesco's are doing sugar free shortbread biscuits for 79p a packet, and they are lovley.

5. JanetS

JanetS · Active Member

cugila, they give per 100g content, which is carb 75.1, of which sugars <0.5g.

I'll look out for the shortbread ones. Thanks.

6. JanetS

JanetS · Active Member

Oh, and forgot to reply that I bought them here in the UK just recently. It was Mum who was in Malta and could have looked out for them for me!

I just know that I got them in one of our supermarkets.

7. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

75.1 gm of carb !!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Carbohydrate is sugar!!Diabetes is an inability to metabolise carbohydrate properly so you need to look at the carb content not the sugar content. 75 gm of carb is more than I eat in one day.

8. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

What is the carb content quoted on the packet?

9. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Biscuits are fine as a treat, almost everyone loves a biscuit with their cup of tea.
    From my own experience, I try not to eat them to often, but should I indulge, I have one after my evening meal as I eat low-gi meals normally, this tends to slow down the sugar rush.

Fav biscuits are ginger snaps, I could just eat a full packet! :twisted:

Nigel

10. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

Unless nut based, I don't eat biscuits any more. All carbs are a problem to me
    Hana

11. Bluenosesol

Bluenosesol Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It infuriates me that goods are sold as diabetic because they are sugar free. I was eating boxes of sugar free sweets when very first diagnosed. I didnt realise that they were 98% carbs!!. I understand that Boots are under fire for their diabetic range. Dont get me wrong - last night I ate a chocolate coated toffee and I eat a full sugar biscuit but as a rare treat, but I do know of diabetics that eat packets of sugar free products as they believe they are harmless.

Steve.

12. ditzeeblonde

ditzeeblonde · Well-Known Member

I was given advice that anything under 10g of carbs per 100g is low carb & under 40g per 100g is medium carb... does that sound about right?

13. Bluenosesol

Bluenosesol Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi DB,
    my personal method is to count daily carbs. If you eat lots of food at 10g/100 then you will still take on board a lot of carbs. I would not want to tell you how many carbs is a healthy diet as we all have different targets and methods, but in my personal instance 40g/100 would certainly be high carb.

Steve

14. Doczoc

Doczoc · Well-Known Member

I wouldn't get too hung up on the numbers if I'm honest, personally I'd consider anything below 50g as low carb, but striving for stringent definitions is not something I'm too interested in. Just eat to your meter and you'll be fine!

15. kay957

Energy 350kJ (85kcal)
    Protein 1.1g
    Carbohydrate 10.0g
    sugars trace 0.5g

All above are per biscuit

16. cugila

cugila · Master

10g carbs......per biscuit. :shock: 3 biscuits would be my meal total carbs !

17. ditzeeblonde

ditzeeblonde · Well-Known Member

Thats what I thought... I tend to keep my carbs 20-30g per day. Was given those numbers as a rough guideline from my DN.

Thank you. x

18. bufferz

bufferz · Well-Known Member

Hangon, sugar free biccys, yet each has 0.5g of sugar in them?? :shock: :shock:

Yes the carbs thing is a pain in the @rse, I got some sugarfree chewing gum, and thats 97% carbs (as polyols) :roll:

19. kay957

0.5 is natural occuring sugars, as do in some other foods. Another food stuff I like is the Atkins bars, low carb, low sugar, high protein, nice as a treat, I like the Chocolate Brownie one, it's delicious.

16 carbs per bar
    1.1 sugars
    18 protein
    13 polyols

207 cals so only eat one now and again.

20. JanetS

JanetS · Active Member

*Bangs head on keyboard in bewilderment!* :?

I'm glad you pointed that out to me, sugarless sue! I just thought (probably, mistakenly!) that the sugar free part was OK, rather than looking at the carb content as a whole!

I think I'd best wait until I start my X-pert course on 16th February. Hopefully, after 3 weeks I'll have a better understanding. Seeing my nurse next Tuesday and I shall ask about self testing.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook