Sugar-free chicken stock cubes?

SamMac

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, newly diagnosed Type 2. I take it sugar-free chicken stock cubes are impossible to buy? Vegetable stock cubes without sugar are readily available, but I can't find any chicken ones anywhere online. Waitrose fresh stock has no added sugar, and of course I can make my own; just wondering about those Sunday nights when I need to raid the pantry for ingredients. Thanks in advance.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What would like to use the stock cube for? If it's for cooking both oxo and knorr have only 2g carb (it's the whole carb you have to check not just the sugars) so if you are using it for cooking one cube in a meal for two is only 1g of carb. Even if you are using it as a drink for yourself it's still very low and perfectly fine.

A word of caution though the Knorr stock pots are higher in carbs at roughly 7 or 8g per pot so if you wanting to keep your carbs right down they may be best avoided

Reactions: lorraine95

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Just looked it says 2 grams per portion - madness a portion is a fourth of the entire pot. Who is going to portion that out. Anyway I do us them in chicken recipes but they are so diluted by liquid...

Reactions: 2 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just looked it says 2 grams per portion - madness a portion is a fourth of the entire pot. Who is going to portion that out. Anyway I do us them in chicken recipes but they are so diluted by liquid...
Do you mean the Knorr pots.? I agree with you but in a soup even made with low carb veg it can push the carb count up maybe too high for some - I don't use them as they have a manufactured taste yuk!

SamMac

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you both very much. I was thinking for soups. I'm new to all of this and in the overhwelming amount to think about where food, food shopping and ingredient checking are concerned, it just seems to be a very simple and clear-cut rule that added sugar is out. I can get my head around that one, at least! But, yes, I see that by the time the cube is liquid, and the soup is shared, the carb count would be very low. I think I favour Kallo over Knorr and Oxo ... Thanks again.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Do you mean the Knorr pots.? I agree with you but in a soup even made with low carb veg it can push the carb count up maybe too high for some - I don't use them as they have a manufactured taste yuk!
I do mean those. It's amazing how they manage to squeeze sugar in a stock pot, but maybe it's the veg they use to make the stock, fingers crossed.

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Even the very low salt Kallo organic stock cubes contain sugar - but only 0.2g per 100ml i (total carbs 0.9g per 100ml) in the case of the chicken ones. Oxo chicken stock cubes, by contrast, have dried glucose syrup as the second ingredient and sugar as well. but reckon on 1.5g carbs per 100ml.

Granted, the mainstream stock cubes often contain vitaminized flour, but they may contain things like monosodium glutamate, potato starch, iodised salt, disodium 5-ribonucleotides, maltodextrin, dextrose, caramel syrup, hydrogenated palm oil, silicon dioxide, autolysed yeast extract, ammonia caramel, disodium guanylate, maize starch, E621, E631, E627, artificial food colour (E150), smoke flavouring, and smoke..er, how ?

Stock pots.. glucose syrup, maltodextrin, caramel syrup, yeast extract, potassium chloride, sugar, sunflower oil, potassium sorbate - generally, they seem to have fewer additives but they aren't necessarily less carby.

kerrygold59

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
KALLO ORGANIC, are worse than OXO,
Sea Salt, Palm Oil*, Maize Starch*, Glucose Syrup*, Raw Cane Sugar*, Onions*, Yeast Extract, Beef Powder* (2.3%), Caramelised Sugar*, Celery*, Mushrooms*, Natural Flavouring, Carrots*, Garlic*, Parsley*, Turmeric*, Rosemary*, Pepper*, Laurel*, *Certified Organic This is 5 SUGARS. Wow.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
KALLO ORGANIC, are worse than OXO,
Sea Salt, Palm Oil*, Maize Starch*, Glucose Syrup*, Raw Cane Sugar*, Onions*, Yeast Extract, Beef Powder* (2.3%), Caramelised Sugar*, Celery*, Mushrooms*, Natural Flavouring, Carrots*, Garlic*, Parsley*, Turmeric*, Rosemary*, Pepper*, Laurel*, *Certified Organic This is 5 SUGARS. Wow.
While we are on the subject, there are other things lurking for the unsuspecting.

On HVP:
https://vegetarian.lovetoknow.com/Hydrolyzed_Vegetable_Protein

On Modified startch or modified corn starch
https://www.starchinfood.eu/question/what-is-modified-starch-and-why-is-it-modified/

On TVP
https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/h...e-diva/is-textured-soy-protein-a-healthy-food

On HFCS
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/high-fructose-corn-syrup_b_4256220.html?guccounter=1

On Soy products in processed foods and some health/ fitness products.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-soy-bad-for-you-or-good

Note: these links are to articles that may not be supported by scientific study, and so should be treated as just points of view, and not as Fact or Proven. My personal experience tells me that MSG is my enemy, and HFCS is a rarity in my life thankfully since I do not source much food from USA.

I included these since they tend to creep in to the cheaper products either in the gravy or the sauce used especially in processed meals and industrial meals (eg hospital catering/ care home catering/ fast food outlets)

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, newly diagnosed Type 2. I take it sugar-free chicken stock cubes are impossible to buy? Vegetable stock cubes without sugar are readily available, but I can't find any chicken ones anywhere online. Waitrose fresh stock has no added sugar, and of course I can make my own; just wondering about those Sunday nights when I need to raid the pantry for ingredients. Thanks in advance.
Could you get the fresh stock and freeze it in ice cube trays to get your fridge raiding portions?

(I've had the same sugary issues looking for fish stock cubes...)

Robbity

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I cook my chickens in a halogen oven, in a metal bowl - I probably throw away some part of the juices which collect, even though I use some to make gravy for my husband's dinners and then in making stir fries and when roasting vegetables.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cook my chickens in a halogen oven, in a metal bowl - I probably throw away some part of the juices which collect, even though I use some to make gravy for my husband's dinners and then in making stir fries and when roasting vegetables.
Why do you throw the juices away? I cook my chicken portions in glass casseroles in the microwave and I find the juices taste even better than the chicken, either hit as broth with Slim rice or cooled in the fridge, when they become a delicious jelly to eat with the chicken.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do similar - I have rack over a an old sandwich cake tin. For the most part I try to use chicken with skin on, so I'll get some fat with the juices. Everything collected either gets re-used in cooking and/or goes as a "licky dish" treat for my dogs.

Robbity
ETA I've just realised that this thread was originally started nearly three years ago...:wideyed:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The halogen oven is a large covered bowl, so there is little evaporation, so I get quite a bit of juice and fat dripping out - I don't use it all before I get the next lot and don't have an animal to feed, so the old lot gets tipped out and the storage pot washed ready for the fresh stuff arriving.