Sugar Free Chocolate

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Does anyone else need the toilet after eating Sugar free choc: I went to the chemist to pick up my prescription and saw some SFC and yes i got 2 bars. In two days they have gone...Now been got by the toilet bug... :-(

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've no personal experience but my mother who's another T2 recently bought some and had a similar experience , probably something to be avoided.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Buy the 75%-85% chocolate, the sugar free is dear and junk

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
...I've had the sugar free Thorntons chocolates and they have the same effect, shame as they're nice, taste like the real thing.....in tiny, tiny print on the packets of most sugar free foods it says 'may have a laxative effect'.....they're not wrong! :oops:

Sugar free marshamallows from Sainsbury's seem to be okay so far........:hungry:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Don't buy 'sugar-free' diabetic foods. They usually contain sugar-alcohols (Maltitol etc) and do cause the runs and are still 50% equivalent carbs. Go for 85% Dark chocolate. I have Green & Blacks which is very smooth and fairly low in carbs.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Its something to do with the sweetener , love sugar free polo's but just one will do it for me lol

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem ok with them laxative wise.

I just can't stand the flavour of the artificial sweeteners.

Only ever been able to use xylitol.

Mind you the 'real' foods are so much nicer!

CarlG

Have the same issues with "fake" icecream, although they have a laxative warning regarding "excessive". I didn't consider a bucket in 5 minutes excessive, so I got bit :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And fake 'cream' too.

And why would anyone want to eat a 'flavour' when they can eat the real thing? (Brandy, vanilla, chocolate, anything, really)