1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sugar Free Flavored Water?

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by ClaireLou94, Nov 22, 2015.

1. ClaireLou94

ClaireLou94 Type 2 · Active Member

Hi, I am just wondering if anyone has tried the volvic sugar free strawberry flavoured water and if it is ok to have?
    I am getting fed up of drinking normal water and fancied a change... does anyone recommend this or have any other different ideas for flavoured water?
    TIA guys! :) x

2. poohtiggy

poohtiggy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I always have sugar free Vimto cordial in the fridge 0carbs 0 sugar but it does have sweetener I add 1 tablespoon to glass of tap water and have no bg increase, it only gives a hint of taste but that's all the flavoured stuff does anyway

3. flossymartin05

flossymartin05 · Active Member

Hi I like sainsburys sugar free flavoured water ...the still strawberry and lime I think is nice .I also drink sugar free vimto in water .They don't seem to affect my sugars at all. .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

4. pleinster

pleinster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi - Maybe I'm doing something wrong here (well possible) but I have to drink about 3 litres a day due to a new kidney, and was advised (pre diabetes) to put a little diluted orange in my water. For months I have had three litre bottles per day (each with a very small amount of diluted Robinsons - Orange or Summer Fruits) - I get a maybe five litre bottles made up from each full bottle. I don't think they cause me problems....and my levels are okay atm....any thoughts. Anyone else finding such drinks suitable?

5. babsy2

babsy2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes we've been buying this for about 5yrs we get 12 bottles delivered once a month fabulous stuff

6. phil169

phil169 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

asda strathmoor sparkling water for me strawberry & blackberry, peach, they are very good on offer at the moment 50p for 1.5 litre bottle.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dean2015

Dean2015 Type 1 · Member

Asda does a great sugar free sparkling water in now addicted

• Like Like x 2
  8. gypsy64

gypsy64 Type 2 · Member

Morrisons do a gorgeous tasting Still strawberry water. Nil sugars in 330ml. bottle.

• Like Like x 2
  9. madusmacus

madusmacus Type 2 · Well-Known Member

i have been drinking https://www.v-water.co.uk/
    Sweetened with purified stevia leaf extract.

Available at ocado Tesco etc

not sure I totally trust it as its made by PepsiCo
    but it does not seem to spike me

10. Yetiandy

Yetiandy Type 2 · Member

Volvic sugar free is not as sugar free as it sounds! check the label for details

• Like Like x 5
  11. RYU

RYU Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've been drinking a lot of coca-cola zero recently doesn't have any carbs or sugars :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

These drinks may not cause a rise in blood sugars but it seems that some can affect your teeth in a negative way.

The studies found that the majority of soft drinks and sports drinks led to softening of dental enamel by between a third and a half.

They also show that both sugary and sugar-free soft beverages - including flavored mineral waters - cause a measurable loss of tooth enamel, with no significant difference between the two types of drink.

Also, six of the eight sports drinks tested in the studies caused loss of dental enamel. The two that did not had a higher calcium content, note the report authors.

The Oral Health CRC recommend that sugar-free products - including soft drinks, confectionery or candy, and sports drinks - should carry labels with information that helps consumers evaluate them in relation to their oral health.

'

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/303293.php

• Like Like x 2
  13. babsy2

babsy2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree but I see my dentist regularly and he's given me a prescription toothpaste that helps very much aswell as T2 and associate conditions high blood pressure high cholesterol I suffer from oestoarthritis copd gout cervical spondylosis and eczema and I take a hatful of medication every day in conjunction with gp dentist copd nurse & diabetic nurse we've come to the conclusion that flavoured water is the way forward I do get a terrible thirst & we all feel that drinking that water prescription glandasane is the way to move forward I'm acutely aware that we have to watch teeth very carefully

14. DavidnVicky

DavidnVicky Family member · Member

My wife is T1 and used to always opt for the sugar free Artificial sweetener option. However, after she was investigating the affects of certain sweeteners because of the effects they seemed to be having on our 11 year old, she made some rather disturbing discoveries, specifically regards Aspartame and more recently Sucralose. Just a word of warning that sugar free isn't necessarily the best option. I must say that v-water looks like a good alternative for both her and our son.

• Like Like x 3
  15. ClaireLou94

ClaireLou94 Type 2 · Active Member

I tried the water and it was horrid! Think ill just be sticking to diet coke and bottled water then! :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook