Sugar Free Gum

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure it is, I certainly hope it is as I've been chewing on it for the past 20 yrs!

Wullie

IIRC Berstein rules out sugar free chewing gum because of the sorbitol.

Are there any alternatives? I make a quite a lot of stir-fry with garlic, chilli etc - you can see where I'm going with this...

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
sugar-free gum is ok, but you need to remember 2 things. 1] Sorbitol a common sweetener in gum can cause diarrhoea if taken in excess and 2] chewing gum can make your digestive system expect food and that can cause digestive upsets too.
Hana

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is perhaps the end of the beginning.

@myroomsadisco

alyssarose

Can I just ask quickly

Are you sure it's ok, because on the packet it says it has high polyols (a carbohydrate), whatever they are, so does that not make your sugar levels go high?

DD33

I only chew Marks and Spencer's gum as its also Aspartame free, as well as sugar. In fact, its the only (sugar free) gum I know thats Aspartame free.

saronie

I heard that cinnamon was helpful to diabetics and whilst in Europe obtained Wriggleys sugar free cinnamon gum because I like the taste (remember Dentyne Gum) I don't know if it does anything in gum form but Wriggleys do not sell it in the UK any comments? :D

Wullie

Ooh, Dentyne takes me back.

I'm currently trying these out:

30Peppermint.jpg

They contain Xylitol which is 100% natural. The flavour doesn't seem to last very long, haven't seen an effect on blood sugar so far but it's early days.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Easy on the Xylitol mind.
Too much gives you the squits:-o

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app