1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sugar Free Meringues

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Sassco, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Sassco

Sassco · Well-Known Member

Hi some time ago I saw a recipe on here for sugar free meringues with nuts. I tried to find it again to copy it & have no idea where I saw it. Can anyone help? Desperate!!!

2. elainechi

elainechi · Well-Known Member

oh i think i asked that once..but it would be great to see one...jane loves them x

3. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I posted a recipe some time ago for a hazelnut roularde is that the one you're looking for? -
    if so it's on the last page of the recipe thread - think its called Raspberry & hazelnut roularde

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2856&start=180

4. Sassco

Sassco · Well-Known Member

Hi, yes it was the roularde - this is it. Thanks must try it. Love meringues but haven't had it in 8 years. Thanks again.

Rachel (Sassco)

5. judyann1

judyann1 · Active Member

This is what i miss when eating out - the big meringues filled with raspberries, blackberries and whipped cream!! Now ive found this recipe today, im going to try it -cant wait!!

6. g0mrl

g0mrl · Member

Sugar free meringues sounds ike a contradiction in terms. If they have no sugar, they aren't meringues!

7. judyann1

judyann1 · Active Member

no it wasnt but......... very tasty! And bs readings all ok!

8. moonfruit

moonfruit · Member

at the risk of sounding like a complete noob!
    after finding the recipe for these sugar free meringues, can I ask what type of vinegar to use in this recipe?
    can't wait to try them out Mmmmmm....... :crazy:

9. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Technically it isn't a meringue it's a roulade -it is meant to be soft and marshmallowy not dry and crunchy like a traditional meringue, as a trained chef and baker I agree replacing sugar with sweetener will never give the optimum results but in this recipe it is pretty close,

Moonfruit, I use apple cider vinegar simply because that what I use for other recipes but ordinary white vinegar is fine - just don't use the chip shop stuff! :lol: just a note for anyone don't be tempted to use lemon juice thinking it is acidic like vinegar - it has the complete opposite effect and breaks the egg whites down into water! You can add half a teaspoon of cream of tartar as well if you like - this will stabilise the whites also

Enjoy :D
    LL

10. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

You can easily make sugar free meringues using Spenda as a sugar substitute. I find using about 2/3 Splenda and 1/3 Xylitol makes them very well. I do this because Xylitol is so expensive. I gives good texture. I grind it down to caster sugar texture.
    Hana

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook