Sugar free sweets - are they really ok to have and any top recommendations? Thank you

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd say it depends on how strong the cravings are and how strong you can be after giving in to them.

Quite a few of us know that if we "slip" back into bad habits then they can take us over completely so I avoid "sweet" of any kind sugar free or not. Others find that the sugar replacements can cause major gastric problems.

As with everything you can try some and test on your meter to see what the impact on your blood sugar is but just remember that's not the be all and end all. Will they lead to the re-awakening of old demons?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sugar free sweets can be quite high carb, and some of them have the dreaded polyols or sugar alcohols, which can have dire effects on the digestive tract.
I make up sugar free jellies with extra gelatine, sometimes with added cream or yoghurt and whipped to a froth.
I do have some Stevia sweetener which I add to real custard when it has cooled - custard made from eggs and cream with vanilla extract or other flavouring - it can be frozen to make real icecream.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d add to check how they qualify as sugar free too. Different sweeteners have different effects on blood glucose even if they are calorie free. For example maltitol still spikes me and many others just like sugar. Erythritol is just fine. Test several times to be sure if you go ahead so you learn what’s ok and what’s not for you

And then there’s the “digestive” effects. Many of the substances used instead of sugar have a laxative effects. There’s some eye watering rib aching descriptions out there about ***** bears and the like. Again maltitol a common offender and Erythritol rarely is. Polyols and sugar alcohols are not all equal.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The desire for sweetness, effect on blood sugar, ability to have a small off piste excursion and impact on your digestion are highly individual. Based on all the caveats so far and what you know of your own body, tastes and self control only you can ever know how to deal with that issue. Not helpful in one way but hopefully totally honest. Let us know what you decide and how it works for you.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a boiled sweet almost every day - I find the riccola brand doesn’t affect my numbers but other brands do, I like a mint or liquorice one, just one satisfies me but then I don’t have a sweet tooth

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ask that question of 100 people and you'll get a 100 different answers!

There an addiction school of thought that any sweetness will instantly take one off the wagon, right through to the "this is a way of life that must work within life and a little won't do any harm"

I found 4 werthers sugar free in quick succession caused gastric problems, but 1 occasionally is ok

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Alist,

For many of us, regular high cocoa content dark chocolate is usually fine -- especially if you don't overdo it. My regular go-to is a brand with 88% cocoa content and 12 g of carbs per 100g.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Alist,

For many of us, regular high cocoa content dark chocolate is usually fine -- especially if you don't overdo it. My regular go-to is a brand with 88% cocoa content and 12 g of carbs per 100g.
That shoes how much my tastes have changed over the past year!! I didnt even consider very dark chocolate as a sweet. I usually have the 85%

Reactions: ziggy_w

Ceppo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone experimented with using a little powdered fruit eg raspberries?
I was wondering about a tiny sprinkle on top of a homemade chocolate fatbomb or a dusting on a topping eg whipped cream or creamcheese. Or even in an almond flour mug muffin.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a personal decision. I'm okay with anything using stevia, erythritol or monk fruit. That rules out a lot of commercial stuff that often include Sucralose, malitol, or xylitol, which I dont eat. So mostly I make my own treats. But to be honest I dont do it all that often anymore. I'm pretty okay with bacon or cheddar as a treat most days.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My sweet go tos are - 85% or 90% dark chocolate once you get used to it with or without peanut butter on top, sugar free jelly with or without double cream, a few berries or a sugar free sweetie is ok just check the carbs and your bloods after to check it is ok for you