ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi Guys!

Are there any good sugar free sweets that I can have? I am addicted to sugar free polos but id like something fruity!

Is there any that anyone can recommend ?

Thanks in advance guys :)

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi Guys!

Are there any good sugar free sweets that I can have? I am addicted to sugar free polos but id like something fruity!

Hi ClaireLou, I don't know of any sugar free sweets sorry, but when I crave something sweet I have berries with artificial sweetener, or a can of sprite zero. If I add a spoonful of clotted cream to the berries then they seem to be more satisfying and they keep me going longer.

Sugar cravings can be a pain, but they should reduce after a while if you are avoiding foods with a lot of carbs or sugar in them. The body gets used to having less sugar.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For the odd occasion when only a sweet will do I like ricola or Sula. Only one now and again but have some nice flavours, the packet I have at the moment are Sula mixed fruit, they last me quite a while as I haven't got a sweet tooth and as they are in a little box rather than a wrapped packet they keep well

ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
its just for when I am I work, I cant really go out to eat berry's or get some pop, but can keep polo's and stuff in the cupboard or my locker, if I could find some! but I cant seem to find any! ill just have to keep looking :)

I have been avoiding food with sugar in them, It was a pain the first few days getting used to it, I had constant headaches and needed sugar! but now I am getting used to it I seem to not want biscuits and cake and stuff anymore :) I used to pig out after work with crisp and biscuits, but now I just wait for my tea so I think I am doing good, slowly but surely getting there

Also, I have been reading that sugar free polo's can effect you BG but they haven't seem to effected mine, so am I still ok to have them?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
its just for when I am I work, I cant really go out to eat berry's or get some pop, but can keep polo's and stuff in the cupboard or my locker, if I could find some! but I cant seem to find any! ill just have to keep looking :)

I have been avoiding food with sugar in them, It was a pain the first few days getting used to it, I had constant headaches and needed sugar! but now I am getting used to it I seem to not want biscuits and cake and stuff anymore :) I used to pig out after work with crisp and biscuits, but now I just wait for my tea so I think I am doing good, slowly but surely getting there

Also, I have been reading that sugar free polo's can effect you BG but they haven't seem to effected mine, so am I still ok to have them?
Well done on making changes... has your BG been reducing as a result?

I don't know whether sugar free polos affect people's BG, but the best way to find out is to test before eating then 2 hours after, and if you've done that and it was ok, then it looks like you're ok to have them.

1Shirley1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been diabetic since 2002 and have tried most sugar free sweets these are the ones I normally go for :-
Ricola Swiss Herbal LemonMint, Cranbury and Sula Mint Humbugs (these I have to hide from My Husband)

Reactions: 4 people

ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
yeah, morning is normally slightly high it is about 6.0 - 7.1, my midday test is normally about 4.6 - 5.0 same with before tea and before bed it is about 6.8 normally, they have reduced loads since I first started testing, my diabetic nurse said she is pleased with the results.

Yes I tested 2 hours after and I was fine :)

Reactions: 4 people

ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
I have been diabetic since 2002 and have tried most sugar free sweets these are the ones I normally go for :-
Ricola Swiss Herbal LemonMint, Cranbury and Sula Mint Humbugs (these I have to hide from My Husband)
Where can I buy these?

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese

Aldi do sugar free sweets they come in little boxes that reseal. They are stocked on the top shelf above all the other sweets & chocolate , mints, fruit, strawberry & cream & they're lovely especially the strawberries & cream. Their 85% cocoa chocolate is delicious too Werthers also do a sugar free version of their butter sweets

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sugar free sweets hadn't occurred to me. Just googled them and they can be bought on ebay and amazon. I am tempted by the sugar free liquorice toffees. :)

1EYESCOT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Guys!

I know that ASDA do a range of sugar free sweets including fruity, mint, and toffee type ones. Recently, I saw a small range of sugar free sweets in Waitrose

Mackempaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I got some sugar free chocolate once from Thorntons!!!!! Anyone else made this mistake? It reminded me of that scene from Dumb and Dumber!!

Reactions: 6 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Marks and Spencer does sugar free chewing gum, my husband likes the lemon mint one. He also has the Ricola sugar-free sweets which I get from Sainsbury's.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@ClaireLou94, you do have to watch with the sugar-free sweets as over consumption can have a laxative effect.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aldi do sugar free sweets they come in little boxes that reseal. They are stocked on the top shelf above all the other sweets & chocolate , mints, fruit, strawberry & cream & they're lovely especially the strawberries & cream. Their 85% cocoa chocolate is delicious too Werthers also do a sugar free version of their butter sweets
Yes I would recommend the Aldi sugar free sweets my husband and I have them... to add to the flavours above they also come in rhubarb and custard, cappuccino, butterscotch and mixed fruits

Reactions: 6 people

ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
I tried the aldi chocolate and it was not for me taste wise I thought It was bitter I might just stick to my polo's and go on the look about for some fruity sweets! :)

Nausicaa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Tesco healthy living range do sugar free sweets. Slightly addicted to the humbugs and lemon sherbets!!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I would recommend the Aldi sugar free sweets my husband and I have them... to add to the flavours above they also come in rhubarb and custard, cappuccino, butterscotch and mixed fruits

And if you're very lucky Cola, which just taste like cola cubes.

And Lidl do some that taste like cherry tunes