Sugar in fruit juice may raise risk of cancer, study finds

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The guardian: Today something causes cancer, tomorrow its a cure.

First sentence says: "Drinking large amounts of fruit juice may raise your risk of cancer, according to a big study which has found a link between the regular consumption of all kinds of sugary drinks and the likelihood of developing the disease."

The link between sugar and cancer has always been there, obviously consuming large amounts or excessive amounts of anything is not good for you. People generally know the risks, but choose to ignore them based on their preference and perception of the risk.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The guardian: Today something causes cancer, tomorrow its a cure.

First sentence says: "Drinking large amounts of fruit juice may raise your risk of cancer, according to a big study which has found a link between the regular consumption of all kinds of sugary drinks and the likelihood of developing the disease."

The link between sugar and cancer has always been there, obviously consuming large amounts or excessive amounts of anything is not good for you. People generally know the risks, but choose to ignore them based on their preference and perception of the risk.
The Sun has gone one further stating that half a can of fizzy drink a day will cause cancer if it contains sugar. Diet ones are ok.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like an occasional Bloody Mary.I'll take that risk vrs mental health trade-off. :)

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Well that was a week ago. I wonder if fruit juice is now back on the healthy list again.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The Sun has gone one further stating that half a can of fizzy drink a day will cause cancer if it contains sugar. Diet ones are ok.

As long as the diet ones don't contain aspartame. On the whole I would prefer the sugar to that nasty stuff.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As long as the diet ones don't contain aspartame. On the whole I would prefer the sugar to that nasty stuff.

There’s no evidence that aspartame causes cancer.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There’s no evidence that aspartame causes cancer
According to my college professor back in 1987, it is, however, a neurotoxin, but that said it shouldn't pass the blood brain barrier so should be perfectly safe. He wouldn't touch the stuff :)