Sugar level

Lukey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I was wounding why this happened I had my tea at 7pm and had something at 8pm then at 9.30pm my sugars went low why is that

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You had "something" and your sugars went "low"......lol, you're going to have to elaborate a bit more than that.

Lukey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had my tea at 7pm then had a little snack at 8pm then just at 9.30pm my sugars went low

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can you give us the readings from before eating and then the other readings you mentioned, then we can help and advise you!

Lukey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well they was 11.0 before tea had food took insulin and tablet then had snack at 8 then at 9.30 they went down to 4.0

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well they was 11.0 before tea had food took insulin and tablet then had snack at 8 then at 9.30 they went down to 4.0

That is a big drop!
I'm not very good with someone who has insulin, but I would have thought that it would be the amount of insulin you have injected has caused this!

As I'm RH and too much Insulin in your blood causes hypos!

Someone will come along soon to help! Maybe @Robinredbreast can help!

But, if you are regularly having drops like that you will need to speak to your GP or nurse!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Does stress make your sugars go low

It can do in some people but in others it has the opposite effect.

You don't say which insulin you take but if your dropping low then you may need to adjust your insulin doses, do ask your diabetes team for further guidance.

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
WHAT KIND OF A SNACK DID YOU HAVE?

I'm not trying to be rude, but you need to tell us EXACTLY what you ate. "A little snack" tells us nothing.

How many carbs did it have?

19 units of bolus (novorapid) insulin could certainly drop you that much and that fast if all you had was a meal of protein and fat.

To put it into perspective- if I took even 5 units of novorapid at once and without carbs....it would kill me. This is why we need to understand your situation better in order to help you with your concerns. This isn't a guessing game.

Yes, stress can absolutely affect your blood sugar levels, but each person is different.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lukey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had chicken turkey drumstick chips beans and peas for tea then at 8 an hour after having tea I had a whisper chocolate bar

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
can you tell us your carb ratio or how you worked out your insulin (19 units).

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds to me that you perhaps had too much insulin for what you ate. Also I notice you mention only vegetable carbs with your meal. If you're like me they can be unpredictable on sugar levels. Eg. I can eat some roast vegetables and have a hypo an hour and a half later, other times I can have the same thing and have high sugar levels afterwards on exact same insulin dosage and portion size. I get a more stable result eating grain carbs with my meals. I think it has to do with the glycemic index of the carbs you're eating.... this is how quick your body absorbs the carbs. My dietician at the diabetes clinic recommended to me that mixing carb types with your meal should help prevent hypos afterwards. She told me this after I was on the low fodmap diet and I hypo'd a lot on that diet because it was mainly vegetable carbs I was eating. I was allowed rice but wasn't having that every meal. But needless to say my docs and dietician pulled me off it as I was getting crazy sugar levels. If you eat vegetable carbs in future it may be a good idea to drop your insulin dosage and see what you get. I get a mixed result and that's why personally I don't trust vegetable carbs. But everyone is different, so it is trial and error. Sorry to hear you had a big drop.