1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sugar tax

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by angie92, Mar 16, 2016.

1. angie92

angie92 Type 1 · Member

So in 2018 the sugar tax shall be in forced what does that mean for us diabetic that need the sugary drinks to survive???

2. June_C

June_C Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

You don't have to rely on sugary drinks. Glucose tabs and jelly babies work just as well.

Edit: There is no tax on fruit juice.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. angie92

angie92 Type 1 · Member

Only sugary drinks work quicker for me I tried jelly babies etc and dextros but they don't act that quick and I use to end up eating nearly a whole packet of them

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NoCrbs4Me

NoCrbs4Me I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's an extra 25p a litre. Not the end of the world, surely?

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Wow. So how were your levels an hour or two later..?

6. joe-90

joe-90 · Well-Known Member

They should have a junk food and ready meals tax and use it to subsidise healthy eating.

7. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

In what way? How is that policed? Cost?

You never hand to government a control you can take care of yourself.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. saraD1

saraD1 Type 1 · Member

I'm a type1 brittle diabetic I suffer with extreme hypo's I'm unaware of and lucozade is the only thing that will put my sugar up quickly so no doing cheaper options it's a matter of life and death and that's what the government is doing playing with everyone and this time he has it Diabetes I'd say that was being racists.

9. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Whoooah. Don't go there...!?! Diabetes is a condition that needs constant managing & affects anyone. It doesn't discriminate.. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mrs Vimes

Mrs Vimes Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm a type 1 diabetic and I buy lucozade when it is on sale and stock up. I don't understand why we should expect lucozade to almost be on prescription when you can get glucagon or certain sugar gels?

I lost weight doing low carb diet and had to buy new clothes - I can't turn around and expect someone to pay / subsidise for my new clothes.

• Like Like x 4
  11. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

An explanation of racism. It does not apply when discussing the sugar tax. I think you meant to say that diabetics were being discriminated against?

1. Full Definition of racism. 1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race. 2 : racial prejudice or discrimination.
    2. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sean01

Sean01 · Guest

Same question on LBC yesterday. Seek out alternatives - jelly babies, glucose tabs etc. Less bloating and burping too. From experience - using jelly babies in Marathons, they don't unsettle you. I could not imagine slurping coke for 26 miles. Hope this helps.

13. PatsyB

PatsyB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I did buy a few in only to find that they had run out of date when i wanted one lol... and as for eating a packet full of jelly babies cos I love them sadly my levels would be sky high in a couple of hours time so just 4 would haveto surfice

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook