Sugars have gone ballistic in this heat!

Herbie72

Anyone else having similar experiences? My BG was 20 just now when I tested before lunch, and it was similar yesterday. I'm usually fine that time of the day - could it be the heat?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Herbie72 said:
Anyone else having similar experiences? My BG was 20 just now when I tested before lunch, and it was similar yesterday. I'm usually fine that time of the day - could it be the heat?

Hi there Herbie72, normally in very hot weather the blood sugars can get very low, hypo alert , under 4. Maybe the heat has affected you, but in a different way :? Or have you been feeling unwell or stressed or angry about something? as this can shoot up the BS, big time :shock: Sorry I can't be of more help, but watch the sugars :( RRB

jopar

Mine haven't gone totally ballistic like yours... hit a couple of 7's, and on 8 at the beginning of the week..

But I was on the tail end of my pump cartridge, so could have been the heat effect the actual insulin itself.. And my cartridge does last best part of a month before I need to change it..

victry77

Yes, my levels alwayd tend to get higher in the heat, particularly if I'm active. You'd think it would be the other way around, but nope. For me; Heat = Hyper.

:roll:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just to be different mine have gone completely the other way, had a 3.8 and a 3.7 on Monday and a 3.9 yesterday. Today after cutting back on my bolus my bg has remained above 5 :thumbup:

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys!

Well, after answering another post yesterday where I said heat doesn't affect me, I managed to drop to 3.3 before lunch today! Still, no harm done and I'll keep an eye on it tomorrow!

Smidge

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
SouthernGeneral6512 said:
Is it perhaps type 1s go one way and type 2s go the other?

Quite a mixed bunch looking at this and other threads discussing bg and temperature :crazy:

glucosegirl

Dislikes
diabetes
I have been having a lot of hypos since the hot weather started. Wake up in the morning at around 3.3-3.6mmol/l. I have reduced my Lantus and I'm now waiting for it to take effect. Yesterday my normal lunch and supper ratios both made me hypo within an hour.This is the first time there has been proper hot weather since I was diagnosed so I had no idea that this would happen.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
I am sorry, but with an average of 34 degrees C here, - I cannot use that excuse because, at times, I do achieve respectable 5-6's sometimes (ha ha ha) and lower if I leave eating for too long

jopar

Nope, what type you are makes no difference..

Sometimes the difference between whether you go high or low, is dependent on what you are actually doing, as my OH finds that days off his will go higher, but work days it tends to go lower, but he does cycle to work, so cycling in extreme either hot or extreme cold tends to take more out of him..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
jopar said:
Sometimes the difference between whether you go high or low, is dependent on what you are actually doing, as my OH finds that days off his will go higher, but work days it tends to go lower, but he does cycle to work, so cycling in extreme either hot or extreme cold tends to take more out of him..

Very true Jo, one activity I find the most challenging with regards to bg is gardening......there's never two days the same :roll:

Herbie72

jopar said:

Nope, what type you are makes no difference..

Interesting, that, Jopar. I'd had a couple of days off, so maybe it was as simple as that. Change in routine, less rushing around... I was initially thinking that because I'm on a pump, the insulin would itself be heating up quite considerably and therefore becoming less affective. All ok today, so far, fingers crossed :)