Sugars rising during day when I'm not eating

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
I've been monitoring a lot and I've noticed I'm doing a lot of correction doses. But it's not after meals.

My morning sugars are the same as when I go to bed so I know my nighttime insulin (levimer) is okay. But I wondered if I just don't have the background insulin isn't there for the day.

My sugars were on 4.9 2 hours after lunch for example. Not eaten or drunk anything except water. My sugars went to 8.9 at 5. Then just tested at its 14.4.

Should I give myself levimer in the morning too? How much should I try?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mr Happy

Re: Sugars rising during day when I'm not eating

Either that or slightly higer at meal times to prevent going high 4+ hours later - it may also be that you're eating too many complex carbs that are taking a long time to impact your sugars...

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

If your sugars are rising without eating, it's probably too much basal insulin ( if you take it ).
Mo

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Too much basal? Wouldn't it be not enough?

And yes I take basal insulin. I take both.

I might try a day where all I eat are zero carb food like salad and see what happens.

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

mo1905 said:
If your sugars are rising without eating, it's probably too much basal insulin ( if you take it ).
Mo

Too much??? Too little more like it :)

Levemir often doesn't last the full 24 hours and many (myself included) take it twice a day

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

amberzak said:
Too much basal? Wouldn't it be not enough?

And yes I take basal insulin. I take both.

I might try a day where all I eat are zero carb food like salad and see what happens.

It sounds like not enough basal but it is definitely worth testing when you haven't eaten anything to see what happens to your levels just in case it is the effect of some of the food you are eating.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

xAoifex said:
mo1905 said:
Mo

Too much??? Too little more like it :)

Levemir often doesn't last the full 24 hours and many (myself included) take it twice a day
Yes, sorry, my mistake lol ! Certainly your basal probably needs adjustment.

violet6763

I've just finished my dafne course. The people there on levimir split the dose and took it twice a day because of these issues.
Also if you go too long without eating your liver produces some glucose so your blood sugar will rise.
Can you ring your diabetic nurse?

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

My diabetic nurse is on holiday this week. I restricted my carbs today and still my sugars rose to 14 by 6pm. I started the day at 6.8. Also, I keep needing to do correction doses, all the time.

I'm able to bring my sugars back down with the correction dose, and still not had a hypo (5 days hypo free and counting) but just would rather not have to Inject 8+ times a day if I can help it.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Even on a zero carb diet - you still have to take short acting insulin - for instance eating a head of lettuce can still account for 10g carb so by not taking insulin your BG will rise, dont be mistaken by trying this - I follow Dr Bernsteins book and eat a very low carb diet - about 60-70g carbs a day, even if I eat protein for a meal I still take 1-2 ml of quick acting as the body converts protein to glucose (carbs), in reality the non diabetic person would be drip feeding insulin into the blood stream so think of it as trying to copy this behaviour, also as short acting takes 4 hours to leave your system avoid the temptation to test regularly unless you have to - taking correction doses could cause swings in your sugar levels if not done at meal times, I only every correct at meal times and bed time - takes some discipline but it's good practise.

I wouldnt get too worried about this - hang on until your DSN is back in to run through the numbers - but more importantly keep a diary of your food intake/quantities and BG readings - this way they can identify trends that may indicate rises. Also bear in mind other factors contributing to BG rising - exercise/stress/hormones/heat etc.

It's all about trial and error to fine tune, and each day brings better knowledge, good luck :thumbup:

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Juicyj said:
I still take 1-2 ml of quick acting

UNIT!!! 1-2mls will probably kill you! lol

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Ooops sorry ! Was in cooking mode !!!

violet6763

I'd split it. It won't do any harm but could make your blood a bit better. What about ringing a different diabetic clinic and explaining your nurse us away?

iHs

Hi

When I changed from Lantus (once daily before bed) to Levemir, my surgery DSN did say to me that I would most likely end up needing to inject it in the morning as well as before bed and yes the DSN was correct. On injecting the Levemir just once daily before bed, my bg levels were ok on waking but started to rise up a fair bit mid morning onwards (much higher than Lantus) so I knew then that I would need to inject it in the morning. What I did was to use 'trial and error' and just injected the same amount of Levemir in the morning as I did at bedtime and just monitor the changes in bg levels which started to lower from late morning onwards. I didn't do any basal testing though, I just kept to eating the same amount and same type of carb at breakfast, lunch, eve meal and using the same carb ratio bolus and then slowly adjusted the morning Levemir up by half unit at a time until I felt my bg control was better....

If its going to be a while before you are able to talk to your DSN, then you could have a go at doing the above. Just make sure that you are able to test your bg levels to monitor the changes and act according to what shows up.

Using a basal twice daily instead of just once, will I think be a necessary hurdle that you will need to jump before a consultant would consider you for a pump, so have a go and good luck :)