SUGGESTIONS FOR A LOW GI BREAKFAST FOR PREGNANT TYPE 1

Nicklenocky

Hi all

I am looking for any ideas for a low GI breakfast that has worked for you and avoided those after meal spikes.

Currently 20 weeks pregnant, I have been managing breakfast relatively well so far by just eating weetabix and milk (deemed the best so far after trying lots of other cereals). However in the past week or so my after breakfast spikes have been getting higher and not within range....I have tried many things to tackle this; increase ratio, increase basal over breakfast, take insulin 10 mins, 20 mins before eating, nothing works! In fact yesterday when I took my insulin 20 minutes ahead of breakfast I crashed 1 hour later at 2.1, today I took it 10 minutes before breakfast then I get 11 i hour after! So frustrating!!! So now I have concluded it must be the GI content of Weetabix (medium), I am now on the lookout for a new breakfast, I have tried many cereals, porridge, toast, fruit in the past but without success. I dont want to skip breakfast altogether since I am pregnant, I am hungry in the morning and find by mid morning I need an apple to fill the gap, I am also time poor in the mornings so would like something that doesnt take 10 minutes to prepare, oh and I know eggs will probably be the number one suggestion which I have no problem with, however recent blood tests indicated '*something* lipades' were slightly high (cant remember what it was called...pregnancy brain!), when translated by my doctor basically he said only 2 eggs a week :(

Any suggestions for alternative breakfasts would be much appreciated!

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Nicklenocky,

Congratulations! How about a couple of slices of Nimble or Weight Watchers brown bread, both of which are quite low in carbs, or some Ryvita with cheese? The best cereal I've found for my blood sugar is Lizi's granola, which you can get in health food shops and some supermarkets.

All the best with your pregnancy.

Jessie.x

Nicklenocky

Hi Jessie

Thanks for the suggestions....I forgot to mention that I currently work in Kuwait in the Middle East, all of these alternative breads that i read so much of are not available here! I will have a look for Lizis granola though.

I do like the cheese idea, but I would have to get a low fat option if I was to eat it every day!

AMBrennan

Firstly, low GI does not mean low carbs, google the terms if you do not understand them. Suggesting a low-carb diet to anyone and their dog in unrelated threads is not warranted.

Since you're asking about breakfast only, would having whatever you usually eat for lunch/dinner be an option? I had to quit Weetabix myself and just have some cold leftover rice with beans and veg now.

Edit to add: Personally I wouldn't be too concerned about the eggs and lipids but I obviously cannot advice you to disregard medical advice.

Elc1112

Congratulations on the pregnancy! You must be so excited :)

As the post above states, low carb and low GI are very different. If you're looking for low carb breakfast ideas you could try all the following:

- all bran cereal or porridge (as long as it's not one of these varieties that's crammed full of sugar)
- soya and linseed or wholegrain pumpernickel bread
- fruits such as grapefruit, kiwi, strawberry, coconut, grapes. Be careful as some fruit have a high GI
- a lot of yoghurts are also low GI

Hope this helps
Em

Nicklenocky

Hi all

I would just like to clarify that I am aware of the difference in low GI and low carb, I am not wanting to reduce my carb intake at the moment, though if this helps at breakfast and I can still get my calories and feel full then why not. I am looking for a low GI option in order to try and avoid the very high peaks at 1 hour and even 2 hours sometimes.

All bran and porridge, both suggested as low carb do not work for me. It is specifically low GI I am after.

In any case, all suggestions are always appreciated.

Elc1112

Sorry that was a typo in my above post. They are low GI foods listed, not low carb. Not a morning person. Takes a while for me to wake up!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Nicklenocky said:
All bran and porridge, both suggested as low carb do not work for me. It is specifically low GI I am after.

Both Porridge and All Bran are low-gi, anything below 55 on the glycemic index are classed as low. When choosing porridge don't go for the instant variety but stick with the thicker less refined oats like Jumbo oats or similar.

I can get away with both of the above but mainly stick to porridge now, I do include seeds, blueberries and yogurt that helps slow down the digestion and makes it a truly healthy and nutritious breakfast.