Suing employers

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
This may sound a strange question but does anyone know of a case where a diabetic has sued employers for the actual contracting of diabetes. There are numerous cases relating to discrimination against diabetics in the workplace but none , to my knowledge, relating to suing an employer for contracting diabetes i.e. similar to a workplace accident type of claim.

I was diagnosed a type 1 diabetic after an extremely stressful period of work . I was put under enormous pressure to get something working (or I would of delayed a project costing millions).Additionally I had only started the job so had limited experience adding to the stress. I have left out the exact details for obvious reasons.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diabetes is genetic especially type one. I would say you havent got a leg to stand on really but obviously Im not law trained. I would be interested to see how this goes though.

Could I sue my Biolgical father for giving me diabeties do you think??? thats an idea :D

Reactions: 2 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
LOL, i see your point. However no-one in my family has ever had diabetes so I didn't inherit it :)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its basically just faulty genes though isnt it? you (like I) were a ticking time bomb and wheather it was a cold or stress (in work or outsde) or whatever it was when not if. I happened to catch a virus off my fathers chickens at 2.5 I could have gone on a few years but thats what kicked me off. its really comman to get sick with something else before diabetes :crazy: as if it isnt bad enough!!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Even if the stress was a contributing factor, proving it would be impossible. There are millions of people who work in stressful situations who do not become diabetic.

Alex Noodles

wow, just, wow..

that's an amazing question, and unbelievable you are even entertaining it.
Stop trying to blame something and just get on with the fact you have a certain condition.
Not your fault, but just something to deal with.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
There's a genetic component in all tyoes of diabetes, but T1 especially is a statistical accident. No-one knows the cause. It just happens to some people. I don't think any one thing can be blamed
Hana

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No, agree with all the others . The only case I know of where people receive compensation from an employer for DM are Vietnam Vets exposed to agent Orange. (and whether that was causative is now extremely controversial)

Having rising glucose levels in the lead up period to your diagnosis may have made it more difficult for you to work at full capacity and thus contributed to the stress you felt.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
If that were the case we would all be suing someone or something. I would of had to of sued my Ex husband then, because he left me with two children, and then I was diagnosed Type 1 :( ( but TBH I wouldn't sue him anyway) Type 1 is an auto-immune condition where your own body attacks it's self. It's no one's fault, it just happens I'm afraid.

RRB