Suitable shakes for Newcastle Diet.

Time2Change

Going to give this Newcastle Diet a bash but struggling to work out what the "Meal Replacement" options are. I couldn't find Optifast on Amazon and told slimfast is an alternative but looking on Amazon returns a multitude of options.

Can someone please link me to the preferred options ?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you read the Newcastle Diet literature? It is available from the Newcastle University website.

Definitely worth a read - gives masses of info on why the diet was designed the way it is, and where there are areas of flexibity, and where not.

I would follow Professor Taylor's recommendations there, if possible.
I know he only used the Optifast because he had a reasonably priced source (I think) not because there is anything particularly wonderful about that brand.

Personally, I would go for lower carb shake options, mainly because I don't see the benefit of subjecting the body to glucose swings of high to low when you are also asking it to cope with a totally different, even harsh, calorie reduction.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Going to give this Newcastle Diet a bash but struggling to work out what the "Meal Replacement" options are. I couldn't find Optifast on Amazon and told slimfast is an alternative but looking on Amazon returns a multitude of options.

Hi @Time2Change

I used the Optifast as they were freely available here in Aust. I know others have used Slimfsat and some have sourced Protein Shakes thru Gym/Body Building sites. The main thing is that made up they are around 200 cals a shake. Good luck

Reactions: 2 people

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why do you want shakes when you can cook lovely dinners that are low calorie and low carb? It is a much more normal way of eating. You can do a piece of salmon or a pork steak or chicken with veg, you can make cauliflower rice, celeriac mash, vegetable soup etc. We do 600 calories for 2 days each week and eat well without being hungry.

Time2Change

Hi @Time2Change

I used the Optifast as they were freely available here in Aust. I know others have used Slimfsat and some have sourced Protein Shakes thru Gym/Body Building sites. The main thing is that made up they are around 200 cals a shake. Good luck

Yeah they don't seem to be available in the UK unfortunately.

Time2Change

Why do you want shakes when you can cook lovely dinners that are low calorie and low carb? It is a much more normal way of eating. You can do a piece of salmon or a pork steak or chicken with veg, you can make cauliflower rice, celeriac mash, vegetable soup etc. We do 600 calories for 2 days each week and eat well without being hungry.

Its all about convenience and accurate counting right now. Once I am through the worst of it in the first couple of week I will likely swap out for "real" food on certain days.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yeah they don't seem to be available in the UK unfortunately.
Its all about convenience and accurate counting right now. Once I am through the worst of it in the first couple of week I will likely swap out for "real" food on certain days.
Hi Time2Change
I did the whole eight weeks on the shakes and vegetables each night. It worked for me and in my mind I was replicating Taylor's Newcastle Diet and hoping to get the same results which to date I have. For me personally it wouldn't work having to pick the menus, shop for the different foods and be in and out of the Kitchen, Refrigerator and pantry every night. It was simple, convenient and very effective. Good luck with it and if you go ahead keep us informed on your progress

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I only managed to stay the course for 5 weeks due to protein cravings (I was dreaming about roast chicken!!!) but used a combination of slimfast and supermarket own brand versions (the chocolate shakes are nice hot)and complan soups for something savoury and lost 2 1/2 stone which I've kept off

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I only managed to stay the course for 5 weeks due to protein cravings (I was dreaming about roast chicken!!!) but used a combination of slimfast and supermarket own brand versions (the chocolate shakes are nice hot)and complan soups for something savoury and lost 2 1/2 stone which I've kept off
Great Effort Lesley
I had those same dreams but am eating pretty well now on LCHF

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This thread is interesting, as I'm thinking of trying it to lose a bit more weight, and it does seem to have had better results if the original, 'carb', shakes are used. Low carb seems to put the pancreas to sleep for the duration as it were, and doesn't seem to produce quite the same results. Although some have done it with real food, so it would be interesting to see comments from those that have had comparable results on alternative diets.and now eat more than LC?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

My original ND was 5 years ago. Only thing my GP would agree to at the time was Lipotrim, as this was available from pharmacies only, and included health monitoring weekly at the pharmacy. It was a Total FoodReplacement.
If I was going to repeat the ND, now, I would use Shake That Weight products. I was alerted to them by a very successful member here, @paulins. The products are available online, are lower carb than most, have in addition to shakes, porridge, soups, noodles, and confectionary bars. They come with a booklet describing several eating plans, including an 800 calorie plan which allows for a meal with real food.

I fully understand your need to have meal replacements. Was in a similar position myself when I did ND. Good luck.

www.shakethatweight.co.uk

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This thread is interesting, as I'm thinking of trying it to lose a bit more weight, and it does seem to have had better results if the original, 'carb', shakes are used. Low carb seems to put the pancreas to sleep for the duration as it were, and doesn't seem to produce quite the same results. Although some have done it with real food, so it would be interesting to see comments from those that have had comparable results on alternative diets.and now eat more than LC?
But wouldn't this need a separate thread?
Just so we don't confuse the issue, and the point of the original post?

Time2Change

Thanks all for the quick responses.

I have been looking at the ND soup recommendations ..... but for some reason they have not supplied any calorific values along with them. Regards these soups are they saying they should be an alternative to one of the shakes or is it a "free snack". I am assuming its an alternative as it would take you above the 800cals?

Is it assumed a soup = the veg allowance = 200 calories ?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I didn't use shakes I used real food so not really able to help but ther are other threads on the forum where people have used slimfast and the tesco ones

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all for the quick responses.

I have been looking at the ND soup recommendations ..... but for some reason they have not supplied any calorific values along with them. Regards these soups are they saying they should be an alternative to one of the shakes or is it a "free snack". I am assuming its an alternative as it would take you above the 800cals?

Is it assumed a soup = the veg allowance = 200 calories ?
The soup would be made from your veg allowance. It would be in addition to the shakes. Also remember to have a little oil each day to protect against gallstones.

Reactions: Gillianc23

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But wouldn't this need a separate thread?
Just so we don't confuse the issue, and the point of the original post?

Not really, the op has asked about Optifast, and there are already replies suggesting LC, LC food, LC shakes, so it seems to be in the right place. Unless the responders haven't done it themselves I guess, so maybe you are right? I doubt I'll be putting oil in either, no issues with gallstones, and it wasn't in the original, unless anyone else has done that method as well? Which oil did you use, and did you mix it in the shakes?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that Professor Taylor amended the recommendations to include oil when he realised that such a low fat diet raised the risk of gall stones after the diet.

Most people add olive oil to their veg portion, from what I have read on here.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's why I'm interested in people's experiences, when they have done it, with ad hoc changes, and how successful it's been afterwards. Do you have a link to his new diet, and has he suggested any other changes in it?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, only hearsay on the forum - I suspect the revised guidelines are explained on the Newcastle Uni website though.