sulphonylureas

kentishman

I read in the papers today that sulphonylureas increase your chance of dying by 60%.
Gliclacide, which I take is included. Makes you wonder if the drug is worse than the disease

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I take Gliclazide - I hate it. It's slowly destroying the pancreas. The sooner I can get off it and onto Byetta/Victosa the better.

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
with the side affects I only lasted a fortnight they were horrible

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've ditched Gliclazide too.
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Well, because of an unrelated condition I am having to take Gliclazide at various times throughout the day. I'm finding it is helping me control my errant Bg numbers which would otherwise be totally out of control. I have no side effects from the Glic and hopefully I won't need their help for too long. As far as I am concerned it is fine and is certainly not 'burning out' my Pancreas. A necessary evil for now.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
This is from the research paper:

Conclusions and clinical implications
The sulphonylureas, along with metformin, have long been considered the mainstay of drug treatment for type 2 diabetes. Our findings suggest a relatively unfavourable risk profile of sulphonylureas compared with metformin.

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/339/dec03_1/b4731

Graham

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
A response to this article from a GP.

Pioglitazone was launched in 2000 . It seems unlikely to have been widely used till 2002-03. Yet this study ran from 1990 till 2005. During this period mortality from vascular disease fell sharply by about a third.

This study is confounded by this effect of time , the pioglitazione treatment group is a different temporally cohort from the other treatment cohorts. Has this been considered in the analysis ? Could a re-analysis of all the data from only 2000 onwards be done ? Also, this might account for the negative outcome of Sulphonylureas which during the 1990s were the most widely used medications but then fell from favour. Observation is not always causation.

kentishman

I have been taking Gliclacide for many years with no side effects but it is worrying to read such articles.The only thing I have against it is weight gain.
I am fed up with reading scares and so-called treatment break throughs in the papers.They trumpet a cure for a certain illness and when you read it is a remote possibility in ten years time.It must be heart breaking for people with terminal illnesses.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
kentishman said:
I have been taking Gliclacide for many years with no side effects but it is worrying to read such articles.The only thing I have against it is weight gain.
I am fed up with reading scares and so-called treatment break throughs in the papers.They trumpet a cure for a certain illness and when you read it is a remote possibility in ten years time.It must be heart breaking for people with terminal illnesses.

You are certainly right about the scare stories, often without much foundation. I too was on Gliclazide for years with no side effects and a definite improvement in Bg levels. I prefer to read the story, digest it, then usually file it away in the maybe drawer......it looks like a dustbin. :lol: