Superfoods

Defren

When I hear about the latest superfood I am always a bit sceptical and think it is just a ploy to guilt trip us into buying things we don't want and are not all the hype folk make them out to be any way. Blueberry's seem to be an exception to this rule, and I eat them every day.

Recently I read about the latest superfood, rolled my eyes but decided to do a bit of digging and see what was what. I am so impressed by what I read, I ordered some of this super food and have had it today for the first time. So what am I prattling on about? Chia seeds! Tiny little seeds that pack one hell of a nutritional punch, and claim to reduce and stabilise BG as well as aiding with weight loss. I absolutely go along with the weight loss, as once mixed with liquid they turn into a gel, so like I did today, sprinkle 10g on my berry's, yogurt and flax and make sure I drank plenty, I was so full after about 10-15 minutes there is no way I could eat another crumb.

I will certainly be ordering more of these, they have no taste so don't taint whatever you sprinkle them on, and with enough omega 3 to sink a ship, as well as calcium and a whole host of other health benefits, perhaps these will be a genuine superfood,

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They do sound very interesting Jo.
Nutrition Facts Serving Size 1 oz

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 78
Calories 139
Total Fat 8.72g
Saturated Fat 0.9g
Polyunsaturated Fat 6.615g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.6g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 5mg
Potassium 45mg
Total Carbohydrate 12.43g
Dietary Fiber 10.7g
Sugars -
Protein 4.43g
http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutri ... chia-seeds

I also found this link which gives 40+ different ways to use them
http://www.chiaseedrecipes.com/40-ways- ... -seeds.php

I think I shall give them ago. Thanks for telling us about your discovery. :thumbup:

Defren

I didn't see your post Catherine - sorry. Also my understanding is, Chia were licensed in this country only as a topping for bread until quite recently. The sale of Chia seeds has only recently been opened up to allow them to be sold for other purposes.

Catza, I am certain from a weight loss only perspective people may benefit from them. I had 100g Greek yogurt, 30g strawberry's, 30g blueberry's and 30g of raspberry's with 30g milled flaxseed and 5g chia seeds for lunch. I couldn't manage another thing until dinner at 5:30pm. Lunch was around 12:15pm. They didn't touch my BG at all.

The site you have shared with us, is where I began my research, then followed links from that page. I eventually came across some slightly more scientific articles. So far the only downside I can find to chia seeds is you MUST drink a good sized glass of liquid after consuming chia if you don't soak them in water first, as they do suck in a load of water which could leave you dehydrated. Thankfully I had read all of this before I ordered them, so after lunch had a cup of green tea then a large glass of no added sugar squash. While I was out this afternoon I bought some bottled water, and had that as well, and I have been absolutely fine.

I only ordered a small amount when I bought this lot I have now, but have now ordered a kilo of the seeds, as both daughters want to try it as well. I will be trying to find out more about Chia, but so far they really do seem to be very much an all round super food, that are low calories and carbs, a diabetic dream food.

[edit to add] Catza, I have just realised the site where you have posted the nutritional information from is a USA site. I did panic when I saw your carbs to my calculations, then realised why yours are so much higher. You have to take the grams of fiber away from the carb total. Chia seeds (by my calculation) are 4g of carbs for 10g of seeds, I only used 5g today, so 2 carbs.

Phew wondered why your carb value was so high :lol:

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Was that Chia Representative Removed from the fornum the other day because he broke the rules.

Roy.

Defren

roydove said:
Hi,

Was that Chia Representative Removed from the fornum the other day because he broke the rules.

Roy.

??? Sorry Roy, I have no idea what you mean. Was someone here trying to sell Chia? If so, then from what I have learned you're far and away better getting organic chia seeds from a reputable seller, not someone trying to make a quick buck on the back of a health food.

Research your seller before you buy.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
roydove said:
Hi,

Roy.
Yes,there was a Chia salesman on here the other day who I reported because he was using terms like 'Cure' in his product orientated replies to very newly diagnosed diabetics.I didn't know he'd been removed though.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooops Sorry about the USA site Jo. I use it all the time and am so used to it that I forgot to mention the net carbs. Apologies for making you panic
girl_blush.gif

Defren

catza said:
Oooops Sorry about the USA site Jo. I use it all the time and am so used to it that I forgot to mention the net carbs. Apologies for making you panic
girl_blush.gif

(((Catza))) No worries :lol: xx

Defren

Sorry guy's but I have to bump this up. Two reasons. I have readChia seeds aid weight loss, ever the sceptic especially where quick easy weight loss is claimed, I decided to have a go. I had one teaspoon of Chia seeds, on their own, just out of the jar, then I drank 500ml of water, and a cup of my other *star* food/drink at the moment green Chai tea (yes ChiA seeds ChAi tea :lol: ). Within about 5-10 minutes I was comfortably full, 30 minutes later I was very, very full and I still am very, very full 1 hour later. So, if they do last in terms of keeping you full, they may just work.

Secondly, and more importantly I read this:

Another study was conducted by Toronto researcher Dr. Vladamir Vuskan. The doctor and his team followed 20 otherwise healthy diabetics over 12 weeks as they took 37 grams of Salba (the white seed version of Chia seed) each day. The study yielded some impressive results:

Subjects' blood was less prone to clotting, which is a factor in strokes and heart attacks.
The participants had lower levels of internal inflammation in their bodies, which is another factor in cardiovascular disease.
They lowered their blood pressure by six points.

In a more recent study, Dr. Vuskan concluded that white bread baked with Salba lowered blood glucose levels in diabetics and prolonged a feeling of fullness after eating.

http://www.bcliving.ca/health/health-be ... chia-seeds

Will it help all of us? I don't know, but I bought a tester pack of Chia seeds from Ebay, for a couple of quid, I now have a kilo bag which is obviously more expensive, but surely a couple of pounds just to try, aint so terrible?

There is loads more information out there, but stabilising glucose levels, and slowing down the absorption of carbs comes up time and time again. I found a really simple way to eat them was with my berries and yogurt to which I also add flax 10g of chia seeds. You don't even know you have had them, but you have all the goodness. PLEASE do make sure to drink plenty after eating them though.

Ok, gonna shut up now. :lol:

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I am also getting very good reports about this product.

The price is now more realistic.

However be careful where you buy.

Roy. :)

Defren

roydove said:
Hi,

I am also getting very good reports about this product.

The price is now more realistic.

However be careful where you buy.

Roy. :)

The "be careful where you buy" mantra is very, very important. I have a good supplier who supplies organic white chia. There are fakes and phoney's so do be careful.

Defren

xyzzy said:
I've joined the party on Chia a few days ago. Got some and am happily sprinkling a bit on my yoghurt and berries along with Flaxseed.
Hoping it will help keep my LDL low now I'm off the statin.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/485566-chia-seeds-ldl/

Welcome to the chia club. When I read about the anti inflammatory properties, I did think of Mrs xyzzy as you have mentioned she suffers with it. If you get peckish, just have a teaspoon worth with lots of fluid, you won't feel peckish any more. :lol:

Ashleigh

Do you think you could use these on fasting days - if you wanted to give that a go?

They reckon that you can have upto 600 calories a day and it still count as a 'fast day', but i've done stupid diets in the past where some days i'd have around 600cals and its seriously hard. The health benefits perported on that programme last night make fasting worthwhile as trying, but i think i'd struggle.

would using these be cheating? or make the fast pointless? I dont see how they would if you can 600cals a day?

Defren

Ashleigh said:
Do you think you could use these on fasting days - if you wanted to give that a go?

They reckon that you can have upto 600 calories a day and it still count as a 'fast day', but i've done stupid diets in the past where some days i'd have around 600cals and its seriously hard. The health benefits perported on that programme last night make fasting worthwhile as trying, but i think i'd struggle.

would using these be cheating? or make the fast pointless? I dont see how they would if you can 600cals a day?

I can't see why not. The only thing to remember, they are calorie dense. I am going to start a 5:2 fast come September, and use shakes like I did on the Newcastle diet, I can't see there being a problem adding some chia to the shakes.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Defren said:
xyzzy said:
I've joined the party on Chia a few days ago. Got some and am happily sprinkling a bit on my yoghurt and berries along with Flaxseed.
Hoping it will help keep my LDL low now I'm off the statin.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/485566-chia-seeds-ldl/

Welcome to the chia club. When I read about the anti inflammatory properties, I did think of Mrs xyzzy as you have mentioned she suffers with it. If you get peckish, just have a teaspoon worth with lots of fluid, you won't feel peckish any more. :lol:

Yes got them more for Mrs xyzzy than for me. I noticed you said you'd managed to buy them by the kilo. Where from? I got mine from PP (two half kilo [one pound] pots for £13). Have you done better than that?

Ashleigh

Defren said:
Ashleigh said:

I can't see why not. The only thing to remember, they are calorie dense. I am going to start a 5:2 fast come September, and use shakes like I did on the Newcastle diet, I can't see there being a problem adding some chia to the shakes.

I have some low carb Weider body shaper shakes at home, so will give it a go once my seeds arrive (i just ordered 100g).

Defren

Ashleigh said:
Defren said:
Ashleigh said:

I have some low carb Weider body shaper shakes at home, so will give it a go once my seeds arrive (i just ordered 100g).

Brilliant, I used Atkins shakes when I did the ND, but after I had finished the diet I found slim and save shakes, and would possibly use a combination of both. Atkins are lower carb but S&S have more variety.