Supplements advice

martinbuchan

Well, foot still infected. No ulcers

Taking:

Vit C 1000mg
Echinacea
Alpha Lipoic Acid (and Acetyl Carnitine)
Brewers yeast
Probiotic capsules
Pycnogenol

Anything else I should take?

Also, only really posted this so I could see my name on each forum on the main topic page. (I am a wee bit bored today on the sick leave).

Marty B

martinbuchan

Read on a medical forum recently that a team after designing a new test for Vit B1 found 75% of diabetics Vit B1 deficient! It not a lack of absortption problem. Luckily my brewers yeast tabs have Vit B1 a plenty.

Marty B

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Marty,

It seems that everything I read about vitamins these days comes with the over-rider that diabetics are nearly always deficient in whichever one it is. As well as B1 I have also seen B6, B12, A, C, D and E sited as being frequently deficient in diabetics.

I just take a high-dose multi-vit with an additional 1000mg Vit C. I don't like the Boots/Superdrug type multi-vits as they provide just the bare minimum RDA. I go for the Patrick Holford range.

jeni092878

Type of diabetes
Carer
A new study that just came out indicates that Vitamin E is helpful for people with diabetes. Don't have a link, but you can find it easily enough.

Jeni

Lynda Kay

My husband's doctor advised us that nutrition and getting good amounts of extra nutrients is key to his health.

Since we've been addressing his nutritional needs his health has greatly improved.

He had an ousy scabbed area come up on his wrist. He swiped the residue from his health drink glass and applied it to the wound 3 times a day. It healed up completely in about 5 days and hasn't come back.

Happy Trails,
Proverbs 17:22

toeless2

Whats happening with your foot, ive recently had an infection in my toe and it went to the bone. Hope you go on ok.

martinbuchan

Repeat MRI scan shows major improvement in the soft tissues. Bones are still hot. Foot is improving just looking at it. Got my bespoke surgical shoes and Mrs B now calls me Herman.

Finished 6 week course of intravenous antibiotic Daptomycin (cost £500 per week) and remain on oral clindamycin/ciprofloxacin. Might be on these for a year. Hoping to start hyberbaric oxygen therapy next week for 6 weeks (cost to NHS £36,000). If your foot infection is not settling then look it up (http://www.hyperbaric.org.uk) and push your hospital team into it.

Marty B

toeless2

I had iv antibiotics for 3 weeks over xmas and new year but went for xray and scans and it was in the bone of my toe. I had a chat with the vascular surgeons and the rest is history im sure if you look at my username you'll guess the outcome. Amazingly it hasnt bothered me at all i just wanted to get home to my family. hope all goes well.

martinbuchan

My infection is further up in the fore and mid foot. I lost my 2nd ray 14 months ago due to an acute abscess ( i was pretty unwell then). I will post elsewhere about the results of the HBOT.

Marty B