Supporting Family Members with Diabetes

rstefanussen

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, all! My brother was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes four years ago and has been massively depressed ever since. It's such a painful process to watch; I don't know how to be supportive or what to say, I feel as if I annoy him every time I try to say something encouraging, yet can't really sit in silence with him. It's gotten to the point where he insists that he wants to die and openly says that to the family every time we see him. I don't know what to do, and I don't know why his condition has driven him to the brink of suicide when others seem to be able to manage it.

How can family members best support diabetics, especially when their condition is resulting in severe depression?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Unfortunately there is a strong correlation between diabetes and depression but there is help available, has your brother discussed his depression with his gp or diabetes team, if not then I really do think this is where you should start and as a family you need to encourage him to seek that help.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Our local community care support team have just recently started to include a mental
health officer to go along to any assessments required .
With depression,isolation,dementia,alzhiemers issues with person's .

Last edited by a moderator: