Suppplements to help lower and control blood sugar

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having had diabetes for just over 2 years, I have been reasonably well controlled with diet alone, with my average HB1ac being 49, but over recent times I have noticed that my morning sugar levels have been around 7.2 on average. Which I would like to get down.

I have read a lot about different types of supplements that you take to help with this, from taking apple cider vinegar, cinnamon tablets and kelp. But I was wondering what other types of supplements or ideas that other people take.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've personally found that a low carb high(er) fat lifestyle/diet brought my HbA1c down from 62 to 47 between diagnosis and checkup 3 month later, and reduced it to 40 within the nextt 5 months; 41 - 43 currently 2 years later. So just a modified diet did this for me, and I'd suggest this as a first course before paying out exrtra money for supplements.

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you give me an idea of a typical evening meal for you then for example?

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @dwelldon, not sure that there are any supplements that really help but I do take a tablespoon of cider apple vinegar in water first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Less carbs works for me - I try for less that 20g a day but that's an individual thing.
My my own meal last night was roast pork belly with cauliflower mash with lots of butter in and roast onions. Pudding was a couple of tablespoons of "Turkish style jogurt" from Lidl and a few blackberries as well as 2 glasses of red wine.
This morning my fasting reading was 4.5

Tonight I am having mackerel cooked in olive oil and lemons together with leftover cauliflower mash and green beens. Pudding is clotted cream and blackberries as well as 2 glasses of red wine.

I have a book with some great recipes in. If interested search amazon for:
The Real Meal Revolution: The Radical, Sustainable Approach to Healthy Eating Kindle Edition
by Tim Noakes (Author), Jonno Proudfoot (Author), Sally-Ann Creed (Author)

Reactions: 2 people

Tony2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Dunelm, Apple cider vinegar and extra virgin olive oil goes well together in a green salad too. I also grind chia seeds and LSA and add them to the salad. More fatty fish like smoked salmon, fresh salmon, eggs, cottage, cream cheese. Lastly fish oil tablets also helps.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you give me an idea of a typical evening meal for you then for example?
Meat, chicken, fish, bacon, or omelette, low carb vegetables, with a dab of butter or a creamy or cheesey sauce; small portion of berries, or fruit or chocolate low carb muffin/sponge pud, all with cream or full fat greek yoghurt; herb tea or water. Generally around 20-25 g carbs for this meal , and usually 30-40g total carbs a day.

Also have a look at the "What have you eaten today?" thread in our low carb section of the forum for other ideas on what low carbers eat.

Robbity

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Dunelm, Apple cider vinegar and extra virgin olive oil goes well together in a green salad too. I also grind chia seeds and LSA and add them to the salad. More fatty fish like smoked salmon, fresh salmon, eggs, cottage, cream cheese. Lastly fish oil tablets also helps.
Hi @Tony2016 thanks for that although I have no idea what LSA is?

Tony2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Dunelm, LSA is linseed, sunflower and almond meal which you can buy from a health food shop.