1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Surely this can't be right????

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Robynberrill, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Shaggy_Dog_1

Shaggy_Dog_1 Type 1 · Member

In my opinion the concept that you can count carbs and eat what you like, as long as you inject, is true (although you may swing about a bit before your glucose levels are back in the right place). However, like all people, some things are better to eat and drink than others. Personally (type 1, carb counting) I would not consider full fat coke or pepsi, even with counting, due to the extreme swings on blood glucose levels that would produce (unless you injected a good while before hand). Basically, eat sensibly and you'll be ok. The course I did told me that I could eat what I wanted, but then went on to explain why I should avoid things like full fat drinks, alcohol, extreme amounts of cakes, biscuits, desserts and so forth and stick to a reasonably sensible diet. The benefit of carb counting is that you do not have to eat exactly the same thing for every meal, but you can risk going out for a meal, having something different for a change, miss a meal totally if you want.

2. neels

neels Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have to admit I have the same attitude since the past 3 months or so where I eat anything I want and give insulin accordingly. Though I do eat those things that I shouldn't eat in moderation, and yes I do feel guilty, I can't seem adapt to the time when I was young and didn't eat stuff I was not allowed (ie chocolates, biscuits etc - apart from that my diet is fairly good even now). I am trying very hard to cut back again and it really is a struggle at the moment. And yes, having relaxed my diet I have gained weight that I am so not happy with. I WILL sort myself out and soon, though I doubt I will completely cut out the chocolate etc may just a small bit once or twice a week.....

Its possible that this attitude of mine has come about having had diabetes for so long, just wanted to enjoy my food/treats a bit.... :(:confused::oops:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook