Surgery and T2

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Hi,

I have been writing to fellow forum users on the issue of an ear problem, commonly known as glue ear, last Weds I had very minor surgery, although under General Anaesthetic, to have the fluid removed and have a grommit inserted into my left ear. Fantastic, the dreadful feeling of talking and hearing under water has gone! But I was surprised to be told I should wait 10 days before going back to work, as all I have read on the surgery states that return to work after a day of two is normal. Apparently as I am T2 (diet only) and have controlled BP issues I need more recovery time, on the first day after surgery I felt great! But now think I was on a bit of high from the relief and the novelty of hearing properly again, also maybe from the anaesthetic :D Since then I have felt absolutely drained of energy, although not sleeping well, kept waking really early and not being able to get back to sleep. Last night I slept for 8 hrs like a log! I still feel drained, my arms and legs feel like a weight and I feel so drained of energy, I am wondering if this caused through the combination of surgery and being diabetic, if anyone knows please?

Also, this may seem really dumb to some people, but if my sugar levels are good as a diabetic can I still suffer from diabetic symptoms? Tiredness and lack of energy was what led to my diagnosis when I went to GP about the problem.

Hope someone has some knowledge of this, I am wondering if I should contact GP - everything is so much effort just now, even just showering and getting dressed :cry:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The tighter you keep your BG, the faster you will clear the anaesthetic from your system. It can take a couple of weeks to get rid of all of it. I wouldn't think it wise for anyone who has had a "general", to go back to work inside a week.
Hana

ShyGirl

After hospital I was falling asleep by 8pm (i'm a night owl so it was quite funny) and needing more sleep than usual. Your body will recover soon so try not to worry!

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Hi - thanks for replies, I contacted the Diabetes.org team and they said that although, of course, they could not make diagnosis, the symptoms were classic diabetic symptoms, no surprise there I guess. I really have to accept the fact that I really am diabetic, seems surreal at times as I rarely seem to suffer symptoms, but then as my daughter reminds me, this is why I went to my GP in the first instance - tiredness and lack of energy - and found out I am diabetic (silly me :lol: )

Feeling much better, though like you I am also a night owl, but strangely not been sleeping too well since - which is contributing to tiredness.

:wink: