Surgery IT Systems - test results - action

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just got my latest results. Firstly HbA1C is up to 6.2 from 5.8 so not very happy but it could be worse. I will post elsewhere about maintaining nutritional ketosis but still running higher BG levels.

Now the lipid profiles:

LDL _____________________________ 4.10 _________Satisfactory. No further action.
HDL ____________________________ 1.83 _________Satisfactory. No further action. (Above high reference limit.)
Triglycerides ____________________ 1.51 _________Normal. No further action.
Total cholesterol ________________ 6.62 _________Abnormal (action required notes that I have a review booked).
Cholesterol/HDL ratio ___________ 3.62 _________Satisfactory. No further action. (Part of HDL report.)

Leaving aside for the moment that different software systems have different ranges programmed in for good, less good and bad, a quick run through the results there show that each individual component of my lipid profile is either satisfactory or good with no further action required.

However my total cholesterol shows as abnormal.

I do note that there was no reference level given for LDL in the lab test report.

If I were to take the report as gospel including all the recommendations then all the individual components are satisfactory or normal but the total of them all is not. Which is perhaps not strictly logical.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/cholesterol-to-hdl-ratio-calculator.html says that a Total/HDL ratio of less than 4 is considered to be healthy and a ratio of over 6 is considered to be high risk.

So all the indications is that my blood is pumped full of cholesterol (LCHF, nutritional ketosis, uh, duh!) but all the ratios seem to be O.K.

It will be interesting to see what they suggest I change. :)

Statins? Sorry, that is my tin ear. Try shouting a little louder? No, still not getting through.:headphone:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We all know the total cholesterol is meaningless, it is only a total (HDL + LDL + 46% of trigs in UK measurements) and the higher the HDL (the good stuff) the higher the total will be. As your HDL is ideal and nicely high, that is brilliant.

Was it a fasting test? If not, your trigs will be higher than they should be. If you had recently eaten/drunk a fatty meal, the trigs will have been out and about in your blood stream doing their job, so will have got sucked up in the vial! The 2 reference ranges for trigs are:
fasting - under 1.7
non-fasting - under 2.3

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Sort of fasting-ish.

Bullet resistant coffee around 08:00 and test around 17:00 so 9 hours of fasting not 12-16 as recommended.

Trigs are good either way. :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802