1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

surgical intervention

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by theonlysbf, Aug 25, 2011.

1. theonlysbf

theonlysbf · Active Member

Anyone with opinion on gastric band surgery

2. viviennem

viviennem Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go for it even if they offered it. If you've got a BMI high enough to get it on the NHS, there are a number of increased risks from the operation itself.

It does work in many cases - there is a girl in one of our local supermarkets who is, almost literally, half her former self. But I wouldn't want it for me.

As far as I can work out, you eat very small quantities of food, so it seems to me to be a mechanical means of sticking to a low calorie, reduced carb diet. I'd be interested to learn more about the diet that goes with the gastric band, if anyone knows.

Viv 8)

3. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'd have it in a heart beat.

4. hallii

hallii · Well-Known Member

I would have it as well, but nobody is offering it. The doc. said "forget it, your not fat enough" so I am trying to build myself up so I can get it on the NHS.

(Joke)

H

5. Defren

Defren · Well-Known Member

Bright spark here thought it would be a great idea. I spoke to my Doctor who informed me that gastric bypass is better for diabetics. I have severe mobility problems so exercise is not an option, however it seems neither is a gastric band, or bypass. You have to have a certain BMI which is different in each area to qualify, and I don't. I also learned that gastric bypass is a lot more risky than gastric band, and also has a much longer healing time. Added to which there is no reversal if complications set in as there is for a band. So as much as I would have liked to have had a gastric band, it's not an option for me.

I know this is an old thread, but it's an interesting subject I think :D

6. sarahjane92

sarahjane92 Type 1 · Member

As a type 1 thats been obese my entire life and cannot seem to get out of the deadly food-insulin-hunger-food-insulin cycle, I can see the attraction but I would never have it after seeing the consequences a close relative of mine has endured.

She had a gastric band fitted, supposedly the safest option for bariatric surgery, for the first few years she could barely keep down things like baby food and now, almost ten years on can still not eat solids, even though she had the band removed 2 years ago.

Also, allthough surgery is designed to limit your food intake it cannot limit what I call hidden cals or carbs such as alcohol, calorific drinks and sloppy fatty foods like ice cream, and trust me when you have so little energy from such little food, you will be reaching for these products in no time, and then what was the point in the surgery!?!?!?!

You cant go wrong with simply cutting out the cals and exercising more, its physically impossible to eat less cals then your burning off and put on weight :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook