Surprising New Role of Fat in Diabetes

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
So is it true that insulin resistance (from a high carb AND high fat diet) usually comes first and the weight problem follows, rather than the other way round?

If we could convince GPs to give a c-peptide and insulin resistance test to teenagers who are overweight despite eating the correct amount of calories, we might get some interesting data.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So is it true that insulin resistance (from a high carb AND high fat diet) usually comes first and the weight problem follows, rather than the other way round? Or does it just depend on the individual I suppose?
I know one thing for sure now: my diabetes came about when I was eventually eating high carbs in addition to my normal life long full fat diet.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This is the sick fat cell theory being behind T2 that I have been interested in for quite some time (I don't think it is as new as this article is saying... I have been interested in it and reading about since 2015 I think...).

I think there is really something to it.

That there could be a drug that attends to the sick fat cells? (By knocking out the enzyme PKC.) That's another issue!

My thinking is - the PKCs must perform a reasonable (is reasonable the word?) function. Is knocking it out/gene therapy the answer? (I am very suspicious of such therapies.) So a cursory look online -

(From wiki): "A multiplicity of functions have been ascribed to PKC. Recurring themes are that PKC is involved in receptor desensitization, in modulating membrane structure events, in regulating transcription, in mediating immune responses, in regulating cell growth, and in learning and memory. "

Yes, 'reasonable' indeed.

My understanding of 'receptor desensitization' (ie for us - insulin resistant cells) is it performs a life-saving function - if our cells did not stop/resist the glucose and insulin onslaiught we would die - all the quicker as it were. Insulin resistance provides time to right the dietary wrongs is my own take on it. (Yes - I have been given more than one optimisitic rainbow on this take on T2!) I like that take. Another take is IR slows down death - providing more time for reproduction, in terms of the biological perogative of life. Being that - we will all die, but in terms of the survival of the species the important thing is that we reproduce first. (Please note - I am not talking about individuals, but us as a species.)

And also - what's this **** about it being a high-fat diet that causes T2 diabetes? What? (In rats at least?) Glucose intolerance from... high fat? No wonder folks reading things like this get confused about what food is healthier to prevent T2, or deal with it if T2.

When I have read the actual 'high fat diet' fed to rodents in T2 studies, it is always fascinating - as no surprise - heaps of carbs. Masses of carbs. And my understanding is the crux of the food deal is it's masses of carbs along with high fat that does the damage. And rodents don't have the same kind of diet as our species does - they are scavengers, not actual hunting carniverous animal like we are (omniverous I know - but when we eat meat - boy do we go for the kill!).

Very interesting. Thanks for posting the study for discussion @Cocosilk.

Reactions: ziggy_w