survey reveals frequent hypo's in daily activities

Cowboyjim

http://www.medilexicon.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=222520

Data at the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) 20th Annual Meeting and Clinical Congress reveal that more than half (55%) of people with type 2 diabetes across the country report they have experienced hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar. What's more, many experienced it during typical daily activities such as working (42%), exercising (26%) and driving (19%). :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Interesting read Jim, it reinforces the argument for test strips so that type 2's can test before driving etc.

Nigel

Cowboyjim

Not sure I have ever had a hypo yet... 8)
Nursey told me last week that a low reading I once got of under 4 was strictly a hypo even tho I experienced none of the usual symptoms... my readings are usually five and above.
Not sure I have ever tested afore driving or operating machinery either... food for thought.

anniep

The survey is not clear whether all of these people tested their BG levels tofind they were under 4.00 or were reporting that they had hypo symptoms.

I say this because a friend of mine who is T2 diabetic, on metformin and has very been given little info from and is not allowed to test by her HCP, has hypos. She carries glucose tablets with her all the time, however when I have been with her and seen her diet (the standard eat plenty of carb diet) I think she may actually be having false hypos and is probably making it worse by treating them. But because she is not allowed to test who knows?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No one has the right to stop your friend from testing her levels (not allowed) is not true it is vitally important for her health which is obvious .She needs to get herself a monitor asap and be proactive in the management of her DB
CAROL

anniep

They will not supply her with the equipment and have told her not to test, so she is doing what they say - and she has had no education or understanding of food issues either. I have tried to direct her here but the doctor warned her about getting her info off the internet!!!!

Instead her only knowedge of diabetes has come from folklore and the TV - and she has no understanding of the difference between T1 and T2 - she serioulsy thinks once you are diabetic you are at risk from comas and should carry glucose tablets at all times 'just in case'.

I suspect her high carb 'just steer clear of the sugar' diet is causing the problems - but she think I am wierd because I don't have hypos -'trust you to be different' is what she says when I have tried to explain.

I think she is probably still in a state of shock about her diagnosis - even though it is two years ago - and can't get her head around it and so is content to leave it all the the 'experts.'