Suspended sentence for woman who delivered insulin overdose to her partner

DCUK NewsBot

A woman has been handed a nine-month suspended prison sentence after pleading guilty to administering an insulin overdose to her partner. Laura Hopkin, 33, was arrested in the early hours on 13 August, 2017 after her partner realised she had deliberately tried to give him an overdose of insulin. Hopkin used a remote device to administer the insulin whilst he was in bed. Hopkin's partner, who has type 1 diabetes, uses an insulin pump which holds 100ml of insulin and also has a separate Bluetooth device which is used to deliver insulin. It was this Bluetooth device, which had been left downstairs, which Hopkin used to deliver the overdose of insulin. After going upstairs to bed, her partner saw his pump was administering insulin, which he had not initiated, and quickly realised what was happening. He was able to disconnect the pump and call 999 to seek medical attention to avoid potentially life-threatening complications. The 24.5 units of insulin she delivered could have triggered hypoglycemia and, if untreated, could have resulted in coma and death. The Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court heard the defendant claim her actions took place whilst she was "in a highly emotional state after she had consumed a lot of alcohol" following an argument with her partner. She claimed she was unaware of the consequences of her actions and did not intend to cause serious injury. Although Judge Paul Glenn acknowledge the actions were completely out of character and emotionally driven, he told Hopkin: "What you did was wicked. You were aware of his condition as you had been together for a long time. It is fortunate he was awake and realised what had happened and was able to disconnect the device and call for assistance." The judge also recognised that although courts are not bound to follow the wishes of the victim, her partner did not want Ms Hopkin to go to jail and they should consider his wishes. Hopkin who had no previous convictions was ordered to complete a 30-day rehabilitation activity and 120 hours of unpaid work, alongside her nine-month suspended prison sentence.

Continue reading...

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I wonder if they are still together...

She was drunk but the object was to cause harm, that much is clear. Personally, I would have handed down a tougher sentence.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I'd hope they are not together. She did this as discreetly as possible, drunk or not, she knew exactly what she was doing and how to carry it out in a very sly, calculated manner. .

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Missed his chance to be rid of her

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If they are still together he'll have to learn how to sleep with one eye open.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as I am concerned she tried to murder him (manslaughter at the very least). Completely ridiculous sentencing, his wishes for a non custodial sentence shouldn't have even come into it. It does make me wonder if the Court even knew anything about diabetes and insulin overdoses. If she had put poison in his tea would that have been ok too?, what's the difference? If she had fed nuts to a person with an allergy, that's ok?, if she'd done this to a child?, yep all fine. Disgusting.

Reactions: Guzzler

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I am concerned she tried to murder him (manslaughter at the very least). Completely ridiculous sentencing, his wishes for a non custodial sentence shouldn't have even come into it. It does make me wonder if the Court even knew anything about diabetes and insulin overdoses. If she had put poison in his tea would that have been ok too?, what's the difference? If she had fed nuts to a person with an allergy, that's ok?, if she'd done this to a child?, yep all fine. Disgusting.
How about feeding the husband carbohydrates? :D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I concur with you, an overdose of Insulin can be a killer, she is a despicable person,

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It could of well been a fatality :(

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
What is wrong with our justice system???? Surely that is attempted murder????

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is wrong with our justice system???? Surely that is attempted murder????
It's only attempted murder if she had the intention to kill him. Sounds to me like she was drunk and stupidly didn't think of the consequences of her action. Sort of lashing out but in a particularly dangerous way.

Mijoed

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's only attempted murder if she had the intention to kill him. Sounds to me like she was drunk and stupidly didn't think of the consequences of her action. Sort of lashing out but in a particularly dangerous way.
I believe that if you are drunk and in charge of a car, there is little legal consideration given to being unaware of the consequences of your actions. She was living with him so would, or certainly should, be aware of the issues involving type 1.