Suspicious HbA1c Result... I'm not convinced.

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
Right,

I just rang up for the results of an HbA1c I had last Thursday. According to the receptionist it was 3.9%. Trying hard not to laugh her, I insisted that I speak to a Doctor who could give me the proper results. Lets be realistic here. Not even non-diabetics get that kind of results and the last few months have been troublesome for me. I was expecting something between 6 and 7.

Anyway, the Doctor rang me back and said it's definitely 3.9% and that's a totally normal result?! When I said that it was barely possible for a non-diabetic, let alone a Type 1 he started saying that HbA1c has recently changed and that they're now using a different scale? Can anyone corroborate this? I feel like I'm being lied to and I'm not at all impressed.

3.9% is just rubbish. I can't be happy about it because it simply can't be right. Bloody NHS.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
They have just recently changed the method of reporting Hb A1c, but it's not in percentages. I read about it in "Balance" but I can't remember the details. I'm sure it said that the results would be iven in BOTH formats. I agree 3.9% does seem a bit unlikely. Average for non-diabetics is about 5.1% and not even the most strict low BG advice would get you to 3.9%. I'll look up har average BG it conforms with

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
PS
I looked it up and to get HbA1c of 4,( which is as low as he table goes) you would need an average BG of 3.6mmol/l Ask your doctor again. something is definitely amiss.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could the figure given have been 39? If so this might help. Either way you'll have to ask.

New Hb A1c reporting within NHS from June 1st.
Current DCCTaligned ......New IFCC
HbA1c(%) ................. HbA1c(mmol/mol)

4.0.................... 20
5.0 ....................31
7.0.................... 53
7.5.................... 59
8.0.................... 64
10.0................... 86

http://www.diabetes.nhs.uk/downloads/hba1c_factsheets/hba1c_lab_leaflet.pdf
They are supposed to be reporting both in the old and new methods

inwales

Oh dear, no good if health professionals don't know about the new reporting.

But is this only for lab professionals?

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I heard somewhere that the recent change to mmol/mol was at the behest of these very same lab professionals. Oh dear... :roll:

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
Wow! Thanks for doing some digging guys! But yeah, hopeless system if no one has a clue where the value is coming from or what it means!

If it was 39 I'd be over the moon, but I won't get excited just yet. I will get back in touch with the doctors and see what they say. A thought though, what if the lab system is in HbA1c(mmol/mol) but the GPs computer is in HbA1c(%)? Maybe that's where the confusion has happened?

I'm gonna ring them now...

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
Still no luck.

Those guidelines say that results will be reported in both formats (% and mmol/mol) but the people at new GPs must be total retards. For a start, I had to drag the number out of them. The second time I rang, the receptionist said "No cause for concern." and when I asked for the exact value she said "I can't give that out - I'm not medically trained!" For the love of God. I finally coaxed her into it and she said it says 3.9, definitely not 39. And there's no sign of any measurements, percentage or otherwise. Just 3.9. How very useful.

I am mightily ****** off.

Doczoc

acron^ said:
Still no luck.

Those guidelines say that results will be reported in both formats (% and mmol/mol) but the people at new GPs must be total retards. For a start, I had to drag the number out of them. The second time I rang, the receptionist said "No cause for concern." and when I asked for the exact value she said "I can't give that out - I'm not medically trained!" For the love of God. I finally coaxed her into it and she said it says 3.9, definitely not 39. And there's no sign of any measurements, percentage or otherwise. Just 3.9. How very useful.

I am mightily ****** off.

Have you asked for a printout. Last time I asked I was told it would cost £5, I laughed because I never had to pay before, the doc just printed me out a copy. That's the only way to confirm the result. Does seem like another test is in order though!

ally5555

Hi - I think the doctor has misread it too. We are getting both results printed side by side and maybe the doc is not aware that the system has changed!! I know they should but !!!!!

In the surgeries it is causing complete confusion as alot of patients think is a bs measurement!!!

Why don't you make an appointment and have a look at the result yourself!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
I think the problem is with what has been input to the doc's computer. If you ask them for a printout, all you will get is confirmation that it says 3.9 - and you already know that. What you need to see is the original result that the lab sent to your doctor. It is quite likely that whoever entered the figures from that onto your record on your surgery's database has read the 39 figure, assumed that it should be 3.9 (because they are used to seeing two single figures with a decimal point between them) so that is what they have entered it as.

Marzeater

hanadr said:
They have just recently changed the method of reporting Hb A1c, but it's not in percentages. I read about it in "Balance" but I can't remember the details. I'm sure it said that the results would be iven in BOTH formats. I agree 3.9% does seem a bit unlikely. Average for non-diabetics is about 5.1% and not even the most strict low BG advice would get you to 3.9%. I'll look up har average BG it conforms with

My GP told me my result yesterday as a percentage (8.2%).
He then confused me by adding +2 to say my BS level equated to 10.2 mmol/L

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
This is a cropped scan of the new reporting figures as sent to GP's, This is one my wife printed out earlier for me, she works at the same hospital that I have my blood tests done.

I have an appointment with the practice diabetes nurse this Friday to be told the result :lol:

ScanImage001.jpg

As you can see the results are very clear and shouldn't be misinterpreted, it even gives the OK range next to each result. Couldn't really be any clearer could it?

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
Well, since this post made the newsletter i thought I'd update you guys!

I had another HbA1c done on Monday and the results............

3.8% !!!

Me: "WHAT?!"
Receptionist: "The system says 3.6 to 6.8 is 'safe' so you're within the normal range. No action required".

Am I diabetic?! I'm starting to wonder??? I have an appt. with DN in 2 weeks so we'll get to the bottom of this.

wallycorker

acron^ said:
Well, since this post made the newsletter i thought I'd update you guys!

I had another HbA1c done on Monday and the results............

3.8% !!!

Me: "WHAT?!"
Receptionist: "The system says 3.6 to 6.8 is 'safe' so you're within the normal range. No action required".

Am I diabetic?! I'm starting to wonder??? I have an appt. with DN in 2 weeks so we'll get to the bottom of this.
The lowest reading that I've ever come across! I'd make an appointment to see your GP.