Sweating and weight loss

Jim 007*

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all I was looking for some advice I was diagnosed beginning of Feb with type 2 im on metformin 2 a day ...when I went on them I started to lose weight and my sweating stopped ...however in the last 6-8 weeks I have started sweating again and my weight has plateaued ...my readings seem to be ok and my last hba1c in may was 6.3
I am training a minimum of three times a week and ran a 5 km last weekend surely I should be losing weight it feels like im back to where I was before I was diagnosed. ..sorry for the long post any help or opinions would bd great ..thanks Jim

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Metformin doesn't normally cause weight loss other than that resulting from a slight appetite loss. Metformin helps reduce insulin resistance plus a bit of glycogen reduction from the liver. You may be relying too much on exercise good though it is. Diet is the number one priority and to reduce weight you need to keep the carbs down. Are you low-carbing? BTW sweating would not be directly related to diabetes other than when you go hypo or hyper.

jollyrambler

Hi Jim I also sweat a lot & i am also type 2. When I went to the gym many moons ago I lost loads of weight & then stopped it was because you loose all the water first. If u like the the gym stick at it. You can always ask them to look at your program. As for the sweating I don't know what is causing that. I seem to sweat about 2 times a week & I cannot cool down. My gp blamed it on my weight. I hope this is ok for u.

jollyrambler

I forgot to mention that I am on meteor min & insulin. Ask your Gp if he will put u on Victoza that helps u loose some weight. How it works is when u feel full it will make u feel sick or even be sick. It has worked for me. I have lost a good bit of weight.

Jim 007*

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thanks for the replies I have being going to the gym for 9 months now and enjoy it. Its only in the last couple of months that the weight has not being coming off I have only a stone to go and I will be at my ideal weight ..making a total loss (hopefully) of three stone..im eating the same as before watching my carbs trying to keep them low but to be honest not counting them ....it the return to this sweating mullarky and no weight loss its so dis heartning but i will keep going and master and manage my diabetes

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I urge you to start counting carbs and calories, at least for the time being. It is a faff sometimes, but without counting you have no idea what you are consuming. Your small portion of something carby might be bigger than you think, that odd little extra piece of cheese may tip your calories over the edge. It is so easy to over indulge without even realising it. If you are consuming more calories than you burn, you won't lose weight. Do you use myfitnesspal or similar to keep track of what you are eating? A food diary is essential in my opinion.

Jim 007*

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thanks I will start to count carbs ..what would be my target number for carbs ....

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't answer that. We are all different. I suggest you start by eating what you normally eat and counting those, then decide whether you need to amend them. For weight loss you also need to keep an eye on calories. Personally, I stay under 65g of carbs a day at the moment, and around 1500 to 1600 calories to maintain my current weight, but I don't go to the gym or do any intensive exercise.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi bluetit thanks for your help and advice I will let you know how I get on
Hi @Jim 007*

If you are starting out carb counting, I heartily recommend the Myfitnesspal app or website.
I was amazed how easy it was. I only ended up counting carbs and cals for 3 weeks, which gave me all the info I needed to be informed for my diet in future.

Jim 007*

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Brunneria I am going to download the app today and start using it.... thanks for the recomedation

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only thing to watch for is that the nutrition content of the foods are accurate.
Sometimes people enter their own foods into the myfitnesspal database, and they may be American values, or they have only entered the details THEY are interested in. But it won't take you long before you can spot the duff entries very quickly.

Jim 007*

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all thanks for all the advice I have been using my fitness pal app its amazing how the calories add up and how walking the dog, golf etc gives you back calories ....anyway the long and short of it ive lost 2 pounds and ive started training every second day sometimes more ...feeling a lot better as well ...again many thanks

sumeet123

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin is a commonly prescribed drug for diabetes, but it comes with warnings and side effects. So may be this could be one of the side effect with metformin.

Jim 007*

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
Just a quick update my weight is staying the same plus or minus a pound or two .I am training at the gym every second day and out walking the dog or golfing the other days.I am really tired all the time it seems like the same symptoms before I was diagnosed so im going to go back down to the doctor's ....my bs readings are under six when ive exercised and high sixes to high sevens when I dont go to the gym

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Instead of weighing yourself get the tape measure out. 1ilb muscle takes up less volume than 1lb fat, and it could be that you're still burning bodyfat but increasing your muscle mass. Many top sports people are obese according to their BMI, but have very low body fat and a high muscle mass.

Jim 007*

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi lessci thanks for the reply but the tape says the same lol I was training for a fitness test before I was diagnosed and had the same symptoms after going on metformin the weight fell off but im back to pre diagnosis feelings tired sweaty etc im training really hard with no weight loss