Swede instead of Cauliflower

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have been low carb for a while now and I do quite like Cauliflower , but could never get into mashing it as a substitute for spuds, but picked up a swede the other week and discovered its very low carb , I had ignored it as being a "root" veg for ages, but a decent portion with a load of butter added is less than 10g carbs...........

Just saying :):)

Reactions: 5 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
well spotted !!!
celeriac mixed in with the swede is nice too !!

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love mashed cauliflower as a side dish, but the texture is not that great for topping pies (fish, shepherds, etc.). Swede and/or celeriac make great mash toppings!

Reactions: 3 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love mashed cauliflower as a side dish, but the texture is not that great for topping pies (fish, shepherds, etc.).
I found this too, @Larissima , until I stared using my stick blender instead of my potato masher. I cook the cauliflower (I use frozen - £1.20 for a kilo bag) in a glass jug in the microwave with lots of pepper and a bit of salt or half a veggie stock cube. There is always then a bit of water at the bttom of the jug - I don't drain this off, and whizz the whole lot with my stick blender to make gorgeously smooth mash suitable for having either as just mash or as a pie topping.

And it always surprises me that it doesn't really taste of cauliflower!

Edited to correct typo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people