1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sweet potatoes

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Pitchie, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Pitchie

Pitchie · Member

Hi I've bought sweet potatoes for the first time & I don't no what to do with them eg: if I was to do chips do I have to boil them then bake them .
    I want to try them so I can have potatoes lol I have type 2 . :)

2. carraway

carraway Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

You can treat them like ordinary potatoes but I hate to break it to you they aren't much lower in carbohydrates than ordinary potatoes.

3. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Much lower GI though.
    I like them sliced fairly thinly, spay of 1 cal, and baked in the oven with a bit of pepper.
    Or done as roasts, but can get a bit greasy.
    Also quite good in stews, I put them in with a bit of chopped squash.
    They don't spike me, but you need to check yourself.

4. nuttybeaver

nuttybeaver Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I like them as jacket potatoes. They can be too sweet for some though. I've also got a recipe for balti curry using them too.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 2
  5. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

They do have the same carb content as normal pots but are slightly lower on the glycemic index, however as a type 2 you/may not be able to tolerate them bg wise so you'll need to test to be sure.

I love sweet potatoes roasted in extra virgin olive oli seasoned with herbs, ground black pepper and a beef oxo cube, even better when you throw in some garlic gloves!

They are also great baked, rub some extra virgin olive oil in the skin and sprinkle with garlic granules then bake until ready; we also use sweet potato as a topping in shepherds pie.

6. Nik442

Nik442 · Well-Known Member

I'd never eaten sweet potato until I got diagnosed with diabetes and noticed them on the NHS GI food sheet that I was given at Desmond course. Now I eat them once or twice a week with no effect on my BS. I bake them in the oven and eat them with cold meat. :)

Nik

7. Pitchie

Pitchie · Member

Thank you all for your advice I did cook them in the oven & i must say I didn't like them they are to sweet for me so back to the drawing board plus I took my bs the next day &.it was high I've took it today day & it gone back down ,thank you all again x

8. cath99

cath99 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

try butternut sqaush chips lovley and nutty oven bake them and add spices you love for a kick .. better than sweet potatoes failing that mash it up with butter yummy it doesnt

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook