Sweet potatoes

Pitchie

Hi I've bought sweet potatoes for the first time & I don't no what to do with them eg: if I was to do chips do I have to boil them then bake them .
I want to try them so I can have potatoes lol I have type 2 . :)

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
You can treat them like ordinary potatoes but I hate to break it to you they aren't much lower in carbohydrates than ordinary potatoes.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Much lower GI though.
I like them sliced fairly thinly, spay of 1 cal, and baked in the oven with a bit of pepper.
Or done as roasts, but can get a bit greasy.
Also quite good in stews, I put them in with a bit of chopped squash.
They don't spike me, but you need to check yourself.

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
I like them as jacket potatoes. They can be too sweet for some though. I've also got a recipe for balti curry using them too.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi I've bought sweet potatoes for the first time & I don't no what to do with them eg: if I was to do chips do I have to boil them then bake them .
I want to try them so I can have potatoes lol I have type 2 . :)

They do have the same carb content as normal pots but are slightly lower on the glycemic index, however as a type 2 you/may not be able to tolerate them bg wise so you'll need to test to be sure.

I love sweet potatoes roasted in extra virgin olive oli seasoned with herbs, ground black pepper and a beef oxo cube, even better when you throw in some garlic gloves!

They are also great baked, rub some extra virgin olive oil in the skin and sprinkle with garlic granules then bake until ready; we also use sweet potato as a topping in shepherds pie.

Nik442

I'd never eaten sweet potato until I got diagnosed with diabetes and noticed them on the NHS GI food sheet that I was given at Desmond course. Now I eat them once or twice a week with no effect on my BS. I bake them in the oven and eat them with cold meat. :)

Nik

Pitchie

Thank you all for your advice I did cook them in the oven & i must say I didn't like them they are to sweet for me so back to the drawing board plus I took my bs the next day &.it was high I've took it today day & it gone back down ,thank you all again x

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
try butternut sqaush chips lovley and nutty oven bake them and add spices you love for a kick .. better than sweet potatoes failing that mash it up with butter yummy it doesnt