Sweet taste in mouth

LittleWolf

Umm, I'm no expert but HOLY **** that is a very very high reading :/ God, what am I worried about mine for???!

I think a sweet taste or sweet smelling breath is a sign of DKA. I'd get to a hospital if I were you. :(

Embabe25

My saliva tastes very sweet when my sugar is high. Even water tastes sweet!

Have you got ketostix to test your keystones?

Em x

Embabe25

Mr Happy said:
I've been told of having a 'pear drop' smell on occasion...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

The pear drop smell is the keystones. I had that once although I wasn't aware of the smell. Was showing a lot of keystones. My bs was only 14. Hadn't eaten for a few days though. Cue 5 days in hospital trying to fix my blood!

Em x

Embabe25

Embabe25 said:
Mr Happy said:
I've been told of having a 'pear drop' smell on occasion...

The pear drop smell is the keystones. I had that once although I wasn't aware of the smell. Was showing a lot of keystones. My bs was only 14. Hadn't eaten for a few days though. Cue 5 days in hospital trying to fix my blood!

Em x

Keytones even! autocorrect!

Em x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If your last blood test with 52 mmol was an HBa1C that's 6.9% in old money and not too bad. I wouldn't expect ketones to be present at that relatively low blood sugar level but do check with Ketostix anyway. You normally only have Ketosis and the smell of ketones when you have very high blood sugar and a serious lack of insulin which causes the body to burn stored fat; a dangerous route to go down if it isn't treated promptly but I suspect you don't have that level of problem but check.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you on Metformin? Some people report a persistant metalic taste when they first go on Metformin, but with me it was a persistant sweet/metalic taste. It wore off after a month or so.

robnut43

Yes im on metformin 3 times daily now 500mg but ive noticed this sweet taste for more than 10 years on an off. Always thought I'd had to many brews. Always had 2 sugars but now im havin only half a spoon.

LittleWolf

Still confused. Is that 55mmol a HbA1c (or something) result?

Because if one tested their blood sugar and it was 55 as opposed to 4-10, they'd panic right?!

Wishing you all the best, OP xxx