1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sweetners

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Bob27, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Bob27

Bob27 · Member

Hi, which sweetners are best ,not long diagnosed type 2.

2. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Personally I use them all and can never detect the difference but others say they vary a lot. The flat Hermesetas pack fits in the pocket so I find it useful when out and about

3. Bob27

Bob27 · Member

Thanks very much for that, every little helps when still quite confused.bob

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

4. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

I like Splenda to carry about, but also have Stevia powder at home.
    Hana

5. candyfloss

candyfloss · Well-Known Member

I use 1 Sweetex for tea. For coffee I use a quarter spoon of sugar and can almost count the grains. I dont know why I chose Sweetex, probably it was the cheapest but its perfectly ok. I use Sainsburys SlendaSweet in plain yoghurt. I dont buy those small fruit yoghurt pots such as Muller, Ski etc. Full of sugar and a lot lot cheaper to create your own.

6. WhatNotToEat

WhatNotToEat · Active Member

I use canderel. Though I hear stories about how sweetener is not really good for you, something about the chemicals in them?

What Not To Eat
    www.facebook.com/WhatNotToEat
    Uniting those with coeliac disease, diabetes and gluten sensitivity.

7. viviennem

viviennem Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I use Splenda tabs in coffee, and Splenda granulated if I want to sweeten (eg) natural yoghurt.

Viv 8)

8. ))Denise((

))Denise(( Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I try and avoid sweeteners wherever possible, you just get used to a less sweet taste.

9. Fraddycat

Fraddycat · Well-Known Member

I've started using Stevia, which is made from a natural leaf and should not have all of the toxic stuff that other sweetners have. But watch out, any sweetner in powder form is 95% maltodextrin and only 5% of the actual sweetner. This is the case for splenda, sweetex, stevia, the lot. So I use the tabs crushed up or have recently bought liquid stevia which is great and very sweet!!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook