Sweetners?

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
I'm trying to find a safe sweetner which is good for making desserts. I've heard that there's lots of evidence that aspartame is very bad for your liver,
Xylitol is poisonous for dogs, stevia is not very good for cooking. So I'm still trying to find a safe usable sweetner to keep the carbs down. Help!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The last thread on this got a cautious vote for xylitol. If you have a dog you might be wary. If I had a dog I would still use it. The packet is on the top shelf of the cupboard anyway.

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Thanks, the reason I'm concerned about xylitol is I wanted to make scones or biscuits (with almond flour) but I know that any crumbs dropping to the floor would be quickly hoovered up.:rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try Erythritol - it's virtually no calories and all its carbs aren't digestible so can't cause rises in your glucose levels, is considered to be "natural" and safe, and is one that is often recommended for diabetic use.. It's available in granulated and powdered forms that you can use it in baking, etc. Sukrin make a "golden" sugar version, a granulated version and an icing sugar powdered version, but they're fairly expensive. Their website has lots of recipes for their different forms.

I use it to make sweet muffins, shortcake and cookies, and to add to cream, etc, to sweeten fruit, and to make cream puddings and frosting.

The last thread on this got a cautious vote for xylitol. If you have a dog you might be wary. If I had a dog I would still use it. The packet is on the top shelf of the cupboard anyway.
As a dog owner, I wouldn't be so much worried about the packets but sweetened goodies left at doggy snaffling levels, but I suppose it depends on how careful you are and how obedient the dogs are - mine are opportunist little thieves in spite of my efforts at "leave it" training, mainly because my other half will share his plate with them... :p

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah ... I withdraw. I'd forgotten how intertwined our pets' lives are with our own.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Erythritol on its own or mixed with stevia. But I use sugar as well. Not being used to sweet stuff I cut the total amount in half and mix sugar and sweetener. If original recipe is 120 ml sugar I use 30 ml sweetener and 30 ml sugar. But then the very expensive 300 gram packet of sweetener lasts a year.

Reactions: 2 people

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Try Erythritol - it's virtually no calories and all its carbs aren't digestible so can't cause rises in your glucose levels, is considered to be "natural" and safe, and is one that is often recommended for diabetic use.. It's available in granulated and powdered forms that you can use it in baking, etc. Sukrin make a "golden" sugar version, a granulated version and an icing sugar powdered version, but they're fairly expensive. Their website has lots of recipes for their different forms.

I use it to make sweet muffins, shortcake and cookies, and to add to cream, etc, to sweeten fruit, and to make cream puddings and frosting.

As a dog owner, I wouldn't be so much worried about the packets but sweetened goodies left at doggy snaffling levels, but I suppose it depends on how careful you are and how obedient the dogs are - mine are opportunist little thieves in spite of my efforts at "leave it" training, mainly because my other half will share his plate with them... :p

Robbity
opportunist is a nice way of putting it!! She's just greedy and I've yet to find something she doesn't eat even lettuce preferably with mayonnaise:happy:

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
I use Erythritol on its own or mixed with stevia. But I use sugar as well. Not being used to sweet stuff I cut the total amount in half and mix sugar and sweetener. If original recipe is 120 ml sugar I use 30 ml sweetener and 30 ml sugar. But then the very expensive 300 gram packet of sweetener lasts a year.
Will trythis, I've just bought another low carb cook book, 'the low carb gourmet because it got good reviews, opened it to find it uses splenda but apparently this can be replaced with another sweetner, so thanks for this info.