Sweets

glass

I do not smoke or drink but have a thing for chocolate and ice cream.

Having just been diagnosed with T2 the nurse at my practice ordered me to not to eat any sweet things.

Now I know there is diabetic chocolate but do I really need to bin all my favorite things???

I am sat here trying disparately to avoid having a magnum

Anyone who replied to my first post, THANKS!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Avoid diabetic chocolate like the plague - unless you get constipated :lol: :lol:

The problem is not just sugar, but all carbohydrate - carbohydrate is turned to glucose in our systems. So you're looking for low-carbohydrate foods.

You can still have chocolate - the darker the better, and in very small quantities. I'm currently eating, over a few days, a bar of Green & Black's 70% dark chocolate, which has 36.6g of carbohydrate per bar.That's more carbs in one bar of chocolate than I normally eat in a whole day! There are 10 rows of 3 squares in a bar, so if I eat 2 rows a day, that's 7.2g of carb. I can easily fit that in my diet. Usually I eat 85% or even 90% dark chocolate - even fewer carbs.

As for icecream - read the labels. Look at the "total carbohydrate" content, not the "sugars" bit. You might find a really good icecream - that is, made of really good ingredients - that doesn't have too much sugar and that you can safely eat a small portion of. You could even learn to make your own - then you can use a low-calorie sweetener instead of sugar.

However, I'm sorry to have to say that you're going to have to change your attitude to both chocolate and icecream - and bread, potatoes, rice and pasta too! The chocolate and icecream has to become a treat, eaten in small portions once a day or less. Mountains of bread, potatoes etc are equally bad for you - all carbohydrate raises your blood glucose; too much raises it to dangerous levels. High blood glucose levels will eventually lead to diabetic complications. You have to take charge. Portion control is important.

Having said all that, and thoroughly depressed you - have that Magnum! Being diagnosed with diabetes is a shock, and you desrve a little treat. Read the label before you unwrap it - according to my book, a Classic Magnum has 29g of carbohydrate. That's more than half of what I normally eat in a day. You've taken time to develop diabetes, and one Magnum isn't going to kill you. But you do have to think very seriously about where you go from here.

You're in the best place to do that - everyone on this forum will give you help and encouragement, day or night. Just ask - and there's no such thing as a silly question! :D

Viv 8)

glass

Many thanks Viv for your reply.

I have no idea how much carbs I should be taking in as it is something that no one has told me about - yet.

36g of carbs is that not very low?

No Diabetic chocolate then, ta for the warning!