Swine flu vaccine - children with type 1

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What are other parent's views on giving their type 1 child the swine flu vaccine? Will you or won't you be having it done? Do you usually have your child vaccinated against seasonal flu each year?

sophsmam

myself my husband and our then 8 month old son got swine flu.the other 2 shown signs of swine flu but weren't poorly really.so hopefully sophie had it but it wasn't too serious like it can be.

Shazza

Dont know what to do about this as have heard some doctors and nurses are refusing the vaccination, my Son has had diabetes a month so has never had the sesonal flu jab either, havent had any word from doctor or anyone to go for the vaccine I will have a chat with his diabetes team next time I see them :?

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Shazza,
Andrew has had the ordinary flu jab for the past 3yrs, after last Novembers jab he came down with a horrendous bout of flu in January, he was off school for 4 weeks and it took him a further 4 weeks to completely recovery and feel normal. So 1 vacination out of 3 didn't give him the protection he needed, where as i had the same vaccination (i'm asthmatic) and it was the first year i hadn't had flu, i usually have a mild dose.
So he has choose not to have a flu vaccination this year, and at almost 11yrs old i have to respect and understand his logic and go with his wishes. As for the swine flu vaccination, i can't see him agreeing to that either, to be honest, i wouldn't want it either given the choice.
Suzi x

sophsmam

suzi did you ask for the flu jab or were you contacted by the doctor.we were told sophie would get the swine flu jab in aug,but with us getting it it was most likely sophie had it but was just mild.so we haven't been contacted so wondered if she'd get offered the flu jab.sophie's never suffered from colds etc just really tummy bugs.

suzi

Dislikes
Andrews DN arranged the 1st flu jab back in Oct '07, after that his name was in the system along with mine and we both get called automatically each year. Though to be honest each year we're being called later and later, and last years was end of November, and i can't imagine it giving much us much protection when all the germs are already rife. Unless we are called for the vaccine before mid October, i don't think we'll bother, not to mention last years jab left us with very sore, painful swollen arms from the injection.
Suzi x

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm really unsure about having Jess vaccinated. She doesn't have the seasonal flu jab each year, our consultant was happy about her not having it done. But the media have made me unsure about swine flu, I don't want to make a decision I'll regret if swine flu really is dangerous, but I don't like vaccinations at the best of times.

Toms mum

Tom had his first flu jab yesterday the choice i left up to him, being 15
and shall do the same with swine flu jab if it ever does arrive

DMcQ

For the record - my 5 year old son has had a seasonal flu jab for the last 3 years with no ill effects.

I am guessing that the ones who are against the jab are just more vocal than the thousands who have had the flu vaccinations without any difficulties!

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My girls usually have the seasonal flu jab, but I forgot to take them to have it on Friday :oops: . They've never had any ill effects from it. I am not keen on the swine flu jab though, after all the negative publicity over that neurological complication associated withthe swine flu vaccine used in the US in the 1970's. Think we'll give it a miss and take our chances .............
Sue

cm1976

I'm really struggling with this one! H usually has the regular flu jab each yr tho I havent booked this yrs yet and am really really unsure about the swine flu thing especially as it hasnt been around very long and the side effects and risks etc are not highly publicised... maybe due to lack of time for larger trials???

really not sure ............... especially as I dont think having the flu jab has made much difference tbh 0 in fact the 1st yr i think he had more coughs and colds than ever!

dot

I'm a bit unsure about this - no-one has said anything to us about flu jabs, swine or otherwise. Still we have an appointment with the DN on Tuesday so perhaps I will ask her about it if I remember.

Can any one explain why Type 1 kids are supposed to be more at risk than others?

suzi

Dislikes
Hi Dot,
the flu jab is offered to diabetic kids for the same reasons it's offered to asthmatics, the infirm and elderly. If any of these groups get flu it can progress into more serious conditions, ie asthmatics developing pnemonia. Don't worry, for children its more to protect them from the effect flu would have on their bs control, keytones ect.
My son had flu last year despite having the flu jab, i'd hate to think what he would of been like if he hadn't had it, because he was off school for 3 wks! We are both due to get our flu jabs on Tues 27th Oct, i just hope it offers him full protection as it did for me last year. Not looking forward to the sore arm though!
Suzi x

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jess has flu and the Dr's say it's probably swine flu but as they're no longer allowed to test which type we'll never know for sure. It's a bit frustrating because if I know it's swine flu then I know there's no need for the vaccine. But I've mostly decided not to take the vaccine now anyway. Jess is coping well so far, the symptoms came on very quickly with a very high temp, swollen glands, bad headaches and a nasty cough along with some other typical flu symptoms. She's not taking Tamiflu, it was available to her if we wanted it, but having talked to the Dr we all feel that she's fit and healthy enough to get over this on her own and so far she's coping very well. The side affects of Tamiflu in children don't sound very pleasant and we feel it would put more strain on her than the benefits it can offer. Our next clinic appointment is in Dec and I was hoping to get a great Hba1c score as this will be the first full 3 month test since changing from novomix to basal/bolus. I'm not so confident now as the past few days her BS readings have been all over the place, we're giving correction doses with each meal but still we're struggling to keep the readings within an acceptable range.

smiley

HIya,
I usually have the normal flu jab and am having it this year but im not sure about the swine flu one i dont want it but my mum would rather i have it just incase.She's going to talk to the consultant to see if i need it or not. Though I am young and not a parent... :lol: i would reconmend getting the normal flu jab as i have had diabetes for seven years have been getting the flu jab for as long as i can remember and have not had flu.
Hope this might help a little bit.

from Smiley :)

Shazza

Thanks smiley I am a mum to 11 yr old with T1 we habe appt at docs this week about verrucas but have asked receptinist about flu jab which im keen for son to get sounded like doc would give at appt. We also have 1st appt with diabetic clinic at hosp,will ask ???? about swine flu jab but my gut feeling is he wont have it. Strangely so far he seems healhier than every ... eats better, lost weight, exercises more and noth sons had cold this week non diabetic son has been full of it off schoold etc while T1 has been not too bad :D

suzi

Dislikes
Hi Shazza,
Good luck with your sons appointment regarding his verrucca. Andrew had two on his left foot 3yrs ago and i'm sorry to have to tell you but its usually a long prossess in treating them. After Andrew's had been treated for 10 months, he'd had enough and stopped treatment, his podiatrist recommended the break, and eventually they dissappeared on there own. Now if he's swimming or even at the beach, he always wears verrucca socks so as not to get them again. At the moment he has a wart on his finger, he's doesn't want it treated, but if its still there in 4months i'll convince him to get it treated.
best wishes,
Suzi x

mikey97

Hi, Sorry to go of the thread but my son had a wart on his thumb and we tried everything then someone suggested pure t tree oil and within weeks it was gone.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Verrucas are a pain to get rid of. My son and I have one and we can't seem to get rid of them.

Jess is much better now, seems like she's over the flu, we have good control back on her BS readings and no longer running a temp.

Shazza

Glad to hear Jess is better, your right about the verruca we went back to the doctor today and he said it will be at least another few appts before its cleared. Ewan has also to go for the swine flu vaccine & flu jab in 2 weeks time ... sore arm that day :(