Swings

martina

Hi all, I was just wondering if any parent with a pre teen had the same problems we are having, as at the moment I feel as if I can never get my daughters bgs under control and I feel like this is driving me crazy. We obviously have times when I can see patterns and we make changes and carry on for a few weeks but recently any changes I make only last for a couple of days before I have to make adjustments and wait for patterns. I think at the minute it just getting to me. I don't know about anyone else but her levels on school days are completely different to levels at the weekend so she has 2 different profiles. I seem to spent all week adjusting, get great levels on a Friday but have to start again on the Monday evening. We have been like this for the last few weeks, the Dsn has said that due to hormones etc her bgs will become a bit more difficult to control. At times it feels like I'm going round in circles and I would just like to know if this is what it's like during the teenage years. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Martina, x

Allaboutbg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That is exactly the same as my preteen. Our consultant said to us when our control worsened that the next 2 years are going to be difficult like that, playing catch up all the time as she is growing so much and hormones changing so much so not to worry too much about it. I also have two different profiles for school vs weekend but actually need more eg. she needs 30% extra basal during holidays. We just had her school basal perfect for a few months and now suddenly she is hypoing all the time so I have had to decrease it by alot. Perhaps because she has slowed down her growth finally? I hope so as she can't get much bigger! Consultant said it would get easier again when this growth spurt ends. Sounds very similar.

martina

Gosh does sound similar. Its nice to know its not just us. Its just exhausting trying to keep up isn't it? Sometimes it feels like its all I ever do. Our life at the moment is controlled by the diabetes and that's what I hate most. I suppose like me you are up and down during the night just trying to get a " normal" level for them to start school with. I have heard others talking about lack of control during the teenage year but it coping with it that I really struggle with. I suppose I may just try to keep in mind that things will improve. Thank u for posting.