Switch from Lantus to Tresiba

cp1943

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How easy is it to switch? I've been advised to lower my daily dose from 9 units of Lantus in the morning plus 6 units Of Lantus in the evening to 13 units of Tresiba daily. Any experience in doing this sort of switch? How easy is it to adjust the dose of Tresiba? I'd be interested in anyone's opinion. I was told that it needs about 3 days for the levels to stabilise. I have to make a decision soon as I will run out of Lantus in about 10 days and don't want to order another 5 cartridges of Lantus. It's making me nervous!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No experience to offer cp1943, however it's always better to start on a lower dose when changing basals and increasing over the following days according to your bg readings.

cp1943

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Noblehead. Theoretically it shouldn't be a problem but it worries me a bit that the Tresiba hangs around for much longer than the Lantus, so if I make a mistake it takes longer to correct it if you see what I mean (I assume there's also some cumulative effect). I will just have to be cautious!

Reactions: 2 people

sw11bloke

CP1943

Tressiba / degludec is amazing. I been on it for 4 months before starting on a pump last week. My HBA1C dropped from 12% to 8%.
I took my tressiba at 1pm each day. Hypos are milder on tressiba.... it has no peak. Gave me a much more stable control. I started off taking it every morning. I still woke up with readings over 10 as i have a serious dawn phenomenon. Accidentally I forgot to take it one morning then took it at 1pm. Next morning I woke up with a 7. i thought Id take it again at 1pm and woke up the next day with a 6.
Degludec / tressiba will change your life. Apparantly its very expensive and they wont prescribe it for everyone. Are you at chelsea and westminster by any chance?

cp1943

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
sw11bloke said:
CP1943

Tressiba / degludec is amazing. I been on it for 4 months before starting on a pump last week. My HBA1C dropped from 12% to 8%.
I took my tressiba at 1pm each day. Hypos are milder on tressiba.... it has no peak. Gave me a much more stable control. I started off taking it every morning. I still woke up with readings over 10 as i have a serious dawn phenomenon. Accidentally I forgot to take it one morning then took it at 1pm. Next morning I woke up with a 7. i thought Id take it again at 1pm and woke up the next day with a 6.
Degludec / tressiba will change your life. Apparantly its very expensive and they wont prescribe it for everyone. Are you at chelsea and westminster by any chance?

Thanks SW11bloke

It's useful to hear your experience. I actually live in Switzerland and my consultant suggested that I change to Tresiba (I suspect she's using me as a guinea-pig): I'm a long-term t1 (over 50 years and counting) so I've tried just about everything. The Lantus regime actually worked quite well but I have a tendency to lows, if I take even moderate exercise, and I also have difficulties with the dawn phenomenon. Generally my Hb1C is 6.4 to 6.8. I will have to work out the best time for the Tresiba (when I am sure to remember to do it as that has always been a problem: I find it's easier to remember to clean my teeth!!). Perhaps midday would be good so that I could also have a lie-in in the morning sometimes.

Were you on another insulin beforehand and how much did your basal dose change?

Good luck with the pump by the way: that's one thing I haven't tried.

sw11bloke

I was on Lantus and Humalog. used to take 10 units lantus in the morning and 10 units before bed.
I started taking 16 units of tresiba and eventually worked myself up to 23 units a day.
I think I was one of the first persons to take tressiba in the UK.

So far... I had better results on the tressiba than im having on this pump. Its taking a lot of hard work to fine tune the pump.

Let me know how you get on with the tressiba

iHs

Although Tresiba is very expensive, I hope that more diabetics will get to use it and then by using it, accurate data can be drawn to determine the control that Tresiba gives diabetics.

cp1943

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
sw11bloke said:
I was on Lantus and Humalog. used to take 10 units lantus in the morning and 10 units before bed.
I started taking 16 units of tresiba and eventually worked myself up to 23 units a day.
I think I was one of the first persons to take tressiba in the UK.

So far... I had better results on the tressiba than im having on this pump. Its taking a lot of hard work to fine tune the pump.

Let me know how you get on with the tressiba

Interesting that the bolus dose actually increased. I will let you know how I get on. I agree that the more experience is gained, the better for all of us. Hope you can sort out the fine tuning with the pump. I've always had the feeling that coping with diabetes is actually more of an art than a science. Sometimes it works, sometimes inexplicably it doesn't, not that that is much help but it stops me from getting discouraged. Tomorrow is always another day.

cp1943

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To avoid confusion: Sorry I meant basal not bolus in the above. Stupid error.

cp1943

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No side effects so far but I am still trying to sort out the dose. I was in England last week so out of my normal routine. Now I am back home I am going to concentrate on the task but it looks as though I need less than the combined dose of Lantus I was using previously.

Lorraine63

Dislikes
Being diabetic
I've recently started on tresiba. I've gone from 16 units down to 8 as I've had hypos every night for 17 days. I've only had to take 3 units of novorapid in the last 7 days. Tresiba is amazing and once I get the dose correct and stop having nighttime hypos I'll be happy.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

rrk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried shifting from Lantus to Tresiba twice and both times the sugar levels went above 300. Forced to go back to Lantus.
Has anyone else had this sort of reaction?

debbiiee

I've recently started on tresiba. I've gone from 16 units down to 8 as I've had hypos every night for 17 days. I've only had to take 3 units of novorapid in the last 7 days. Tresiba is amazing and once I get the dose correct and stop having nighttime hypos I'll be happy.

How many units of lantus were u taking before tresiba? And how many units of novorapid approximately before?

lorenxz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'll have been 40 years with IDDM1 on next june. I'm diagnosed in 1976. I use Lantus 10 years ago and my nationl health service force me to change to Tresiba insulin three months ago. I think Tresiba is for other planet with 40hours days. It's like a stupid pump wich any change in basal dose may be maked with 40 or 42hrs of anticipation, and live don't works in that way. I used Lantus one dose a day and when I know will have light or load work I choose every morning what dose I'll use that day, between 24 to 36 when I'm severely chilled i.ex. and using Apidra bolus each time I eat. I don't want my state Health System using me as a guinea-pig. I don't have sensibility to low glucose level with Tresiba and it's very difficult to understand his logical response at exercise. I'don't know if is today or yesterday back dose effecto acting now when I have a low glucose down.

lorenxz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I will turn 40 years IDDM1 next June. I was diagnosed in 1976. Using Lantus 10 years ago and my National Health Service forced me to switch to insulin Tresiba three months ago. I think Tresiba is from another planet with days of 40 hours or more. It's like a laisy pump in which any changes in the basal dose should be done with 40 or 42 hours in advance and life does not work that way . I used to use Lantus one dose per day in the morning and when I'll choose soft or heavy work each appropriate dose for each day among 24 to 36I.U.- when I am severely cold for example. In addition use a bolus of Apidra whenever I like . I do not want my State Health System use me as a guinea pig . I have no sensitivity to low glucose with Tresiba and it is very difficult to understand its logic response to exercise .

lorenxz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks SW11bloke

It's useful to hear your experience. I actually live in Switzerland and my consultant suggested that I change to Tresiba (I suspect she's using me as a guinea-pig): I'm a long-term t1 (over 50 years and counting) so I've tried just about everything. The Lantus regime actually worked quite well but I have a tendency to lows, if I take even moderate exercise, and I also have difficulties with the dawn phenomenon. Generally my Hb1C is 6.4 to 6.8. I will have to work out the best time for the Tresiba (when I am sure to remember to do it as that has always been a problem: I find it's easier to remember to clean my teeth!!). Perhaps midday would be good so that I could also have a lie-in in the morning sometimes.

Were you on another insulin beforehand and how much did your basal dose change?

Good luck with the pump by the way: that's one thing I haven't tried.
I will turn 40 years IDDM1 next June. I was diagnosed in 1976. Using Lantus 10 years ago and my National Health Service forced me to switch to insulin Tresiba three months ago. I think Tresiba is from another planet with days of 40 hours or more. It's like a stupid pump in which any changes in the basal dose should be done with 40 or 42 hours in advance and life does not work that way . I used to use Lantus one dose per day in the morning and when I'll choose soft or heavy work each appropriate dose for each day among 24 to 36I.U.- when I am severely cold for example. In addition use a bolus of Apidra whenever I like . I do not want my State Health System use me as a guinea pig too. I have no sensitivity to low glucose with Tresiba and it is very difficult to understand its logic response to exercise .