Switching from Dexcom G5 to G6

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I've done a forum search for any information on this subject without much joy.

I've been using the G5 on a one year subscription, doing a restart after seven days and replacing after fourteen days without many problems. I'd have happily carried on with the G5, but when I rang Dexcom to query continuing with the G5 on subscription, they said that although I could still but sensors and transmitters for the G5 they weren't doing subscriptions again.

I've signed up for the G6 and will be starting my first next weekend. The qusetion is, therefore:

any hints tip and other things to think about for making this change?

I'm not concerned about restarting sensors as I should be covered for the full year..

thanks, in advance, Peter

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @jackois haven't used the G5, started using the g6 about 3 months ago, found it be a great tool, but cannot offer comparison advice, very reliable sensor and bar the overnight alarms waking me 2-3 nights a week I am managing to keep in range approx 60-70% of the time.

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Peter,

I went from G5 (I also got 14 days out of them) to G6.

I find G6 better as
Easier to apply
More accurate readings
The predictive alerts (eg urgent low soon) are really useful
Transmitter and sensor combined are far sleeker and smaller, less chance of catching it.

You’ll need to download a different app, but apart from that no big changes apart from G6 being better.

Though I have had some transmitter failures with G6, but doesn’t seem to be a wider issues for others, and Dexcom support were v good.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with @Draco16 . I went from G4 to G6 & for me it was a big improvement. I'm using it with xDrip+.
Transmitter range isn't quite as good as the G4.