1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

swollen ankles and very stiff legs

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by susie1953, May 31, 2018.

1. susie1953

susie1953 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

for some time now my ankles swell up and when i walk im like a robbot because my legs are so stiff all the time im type 2 on insulin has anyone else had this

2. Jenny15

Jenny15 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Probably something you should ask your nurse or doctor about, could be a sign of something other than diabetes?

3. Jo_the_boat

Jo_the_boat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with Jenny @susie1953
    Best get it check out, could be any number of things.

4. tsouza

tsouza Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Perhaps diabetic diet with reduced or no salt added could help. I had similar problem with swelling in ankles, and was told it was water retention due to excess sodium. I still take Lasix every morning.

5. susie1953

thank you for your replys i see the nurse this week i will have a chat to her about it , a few people said about water retention i will get it checked out thanks sue

• Hug Hug x 2
  6. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

It sounds rather like the issues I have with water retention/oedema, the first of which I've had intermittently for many years and from well before I was ever diabetic. For me I belieive water retention has in part been a combination of blood pressure, being on my feet for long periods and hot weather, but the oedema has only been a problem since last year and is far worse than just my fat ankles.

As a temporary measure try to keep your feet up whenever possible - as my GP once charmingly put it "keep you feet higher than your bum"... it will help reduce the swelling for the time being. But definitely get things checked out as already suggested.

Robbity

7. susie1953

Hi thank you for your reply im putting my feet up as much as i can i cant walk around to much at the momment my legs hurt but i will get it checked out this week i will let you know how i get on thanks again sue

8. Energize

Energize Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Is it possible this could be related to taking a statin? Certainly stiff joints can be a side effect. Hope you get to the bottom of it.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook