1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Swollen hands and fingers after running

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by Sanober, May 16, 2012.

1. Sanober

Sanober · Well-Known Member

I should really have checked my glucose before I got on the treadmill.

I did 30mins of running last week - about 6-8 mins running and 2-3mins walking and managed 4km. However towards the end I started to feel way to hot and got off the treadmill feeling really light headed and spaced out.

I was sweating a lot I thought, as I usually do about 3 -4 hours of exercise a week and this was only my 3rd weekly run and never had this before.

I managed to get home, laid down as I felt so tired which I never do after exercise. I felt my hands were a bit strange and when I looked at them they were swollen, especially the fingers and the part of my fingers above the knuckle looked paler than the bottom half - I couldn't bend my fingers. I was too tired so lay for a further 10mins, then thought I better test my sugar and/or ketones.

My sugar was 11.5 (no ketones) I had eaten my usual w/meal toast before. I took a corrective shot of insulin (1 u brings me down by 3 units but didn't take more as I know post exercise the insulin works more efficiently). About another 15mins and my hands calmed down.

Any idea what on earth this swollen hands business is all about??? I did 5k run/walk yesterday and didn't get this.

I have good cholestral and am 9.5 stone for my 5ft 4 height - which is normal weight. Am not on any meds bar the Lantus, Novo which I've been on since Dec, the Yasmin pill now for 3mths. 1 daily B12 and 1 vit D per day.

2. mistee71

mistee71 · Well-Known Member

I dont know what it is but it is something i always get while on long walks. They swell that much it's even hard to close your hand. I googled and found it's fairly common especialy if you dont move your hands around for a while. You dont move them enough so fluids build up so they sugest carrying something and change it from hand to hand to keep them moving

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook