swollen legs n painfull

annina40

my daughter is a type one diabetic who is having a really bad time at the moment... day before xmas eve she had a massave hypo and became unconsious... very frightening for her and myself as it happened so quik...one minute she was 16.3 then in 10 mins she went 2... since then shehas been having sever pains in her legs.. pins and needle, swollen hurting.. she is unable to stand bed covers or even socks n shoes on her feet... been to the doctors who r baffled and said its nothing to do with her diabetes but they dont know what it is... have any of you readers got any info on what it possible could be or have any experience... thank you..

rgarcha

Hi,
I may be wrong, but from my own experience it sounds very much like nerve damage, i think the medical term is neuropathy, (sorry if the spelling is wrong). I sometimes get the same problems myself, but its more obvious during the night, when the pain is at its worst. it's one of main long term diabetic complications, and it can effect people in different ways, such as tingling, pins and needles, numbness and the pain where you can't have bed sheets touching your feet in anyway. I found that i'm much worst when the weather is cold, like now.

I hope this might give you some idea's, but its best if you ask your diabetic team, to do further investigation, to rule out any other problems.

regards
Rav

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
annina40 said:
my daughter is a type one diabetic who is having a really bad time at the moment... day before xmas eve she had a massave hypo and became unconsious... very frightening for her and myself as it happened so quik...one minute she was 16.3 then in 10 mins she went 2... since then shehas been having sever pains in her legs.. pins and needle, swollen hurting.. she is unable to stand bed covers or even socks n shoes on her feet... been to the doctors who r baffled and said its nothing to do with her diabetes but they dont know what it is... have any of you readers got any info on what it possible could be or have any experience... thank you..

When she became unconscious did she fall?

jopar

neropathy doesn't generally swell the legs, nor come on instantly but over a period of time of high BG's, so I wouldn't automatically be looking this as a complication problems..

But there are some other considerations that might well be worth asking to look at..

Is it possible with the large quick drop of her blood glucose that she either had a fit which can happen at extreme low levels of blood glucose, she could have easily banged her legs, chipping a bone or small fracture involved ect, this would explain the swelling and the pain, one doesn't necessary have to be bruised when this happens, or it might be a sprains ect caused in the same manner..

It might be worth popping her along to the A&E department to get them to give her a check and perhaps they may well decide to x-ray etc..

annina40

thank u for yr replys we are seeing her team tomor so hopefully we will get sum answers... no she didnt have a fit wen she had her hypo the other week but thank u for the info.. will put a reply on wen get info from team on thurs..once again thank you

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
how old is your daughter?