Symptoms Of Hypo Without -4 Blood Sugar

Champs42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone else get the symptoms of a hypo when their sugars are still above 4? I get dizzy, shaky and confused wihtout my blood sugar dipping below 4. If I am tired or stressed this will happen. If I haven't eaten it will happen too.

Reactions: kitedoc

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long have you been diagnosed and has your blood sugar been relatively high in the past?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What’s your usual range, and how low are you when you get these symptoms?

Champs42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What’s your usual range, and how low are you when you get these symptoms?
My usual range is 5.5 to 8. Occasionally up to 10 after eating. The lowest I’ve recorded when shaky and confused is 4.7 but sometimes I can be 7 during these symptoms. But mostly I’m too confused to remember to test.

S

Sani Thomas

Does anyone else get the symptoms of a hypo when their sugars are still above 4? I get dizzy, shaky and confused wihtout my blood sugar dipping below 4. If I am tired or stressed this will happen. If I haven't eaten it will happen too.
I used to get these in the beginning of starting insulin and still very occasionally get them now. Because my BS was up for quite a while, when it started to go lower, the brain needed time to adjust and learn ti interpret the levels correctly.
Don't worry, eventually things will fall into place.
Best of luck.

Reactions: Lee1570

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I expect that a few weeks of self funded CGM will tell you what is going on. It may be that your BG increase fast, then drops fast, if so changing your choose of food and drink would help. (I expect metformin may also help.)

Reactions: lovinglife and DJC3

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do sometimes. When I reach the mid to low fours I get all of those symptoms, I was told it is simply a warning sign, ie do something or else! I was also told that when it then drops into the 2s and 3s you've left it too late! (Unavoidable sometimes of course when it catches you out or you're so busy at work you ignore it unintentionally).

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I expect that a few weeks of self funded CGM will tell you what is going on. It may be that your BG increase fast, then drops fast, if so changing your choose of food and drink would help. (I expect metformin may also help.)

I have also found this - if I eat a meal higher in carbs than usual, not only does my bg rise quickly but it also seems to crash afterwards. Although not in real hypo territory it seems to me that it is the speed of the drop - not the final figure, which makes me feel shaky.
Personally I have found that sticking to low carb foods stops this effect.

Champs42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to get these in the beginning of starting insulin and still very occasionally get them now. Because my BS was up for quite a while, when it started to go lower, the brain needed time to adjust and learn ti interpret the levels correctly.
Don't worry, eventually things will fall into place.
Best of luck.
Thank you

Champs42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have also found this - if I eat a meal higher in carbs than usual, not only does my bg rise quickly but it also seems to crash afterwards. Although not in real hypo territory it seems to me that it is the speed of the drop - not the final figure, which makes me feel shaky.
Personally I have found that sticking to low carb foods stops this effect.
Thank you. V helpful

Reactions: DJC3

Champs42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do sometimes. When I reach the mid to low fours I get all of those symptoms, I was told it is simply a warning sign, ie do something or else! I was also told that when it then drops into the 2s and 3s you've left it too late! (Unavoidable sometimes of course when it catches you out or you're so busy at work you ignore it unintentionally).
Thank you. Really helpful

Champs42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. Cgm is so expensive though?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I never feel right when my bloods are in the low to mid 4's I feel worse if I go even lower

Reactions: Atlantico

SOPHIE2006

Yeah i get a splitting headache and feel nauseated.

Shinealight

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Sure, if my daughter says she feels low and when I check she's normal or even slightly above, it's often because her blood sugar is plummeting which I discover probably 15/20 minutes later when I check and find she's hypoglycaemic, unless I have already treated her.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My usual range is 5.5 to 8. Occasionally up to 10 after eating. The lowest I’ve recorded when shaky and confused is 4.7 but sometimes I can be 7 during these symptoms. But mostly I’m too confused to remember to test.

Seems we have a differing definition of "in range" Like others I would say that it seems you are used to running higher sugars so when they "normalise" you feel odd. This happened to me too when I did my first extended fast and got sub-4 readings. However after the first time my body got used to it and I can get there now without the odd feelings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alison Campbell

Gweltas

I sometimes get a feeling of faintness when my sugars go below 5 and I definitely don't feel at all well if it dips even slightly below 4, but so far, I have never had a proper hypo.