Symptoms of PCOS but tests all normal?

charleym

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have various symptoms of PCOS which are gradually increasing but have had blood tests for hormones which all came back normal and an ultrasound scan about 3 years ago which showed no cysts.
I have been told my period are normal although I originally went on contraception about 10 years ago as periods were too frequent and very heavy. They varied over the years including several years with none due to the contraception but my current cycles are around 40 days (period lasts about 12 days) and rather light and mostly 'old' blood.
I have course black hairs growing everywhere, starting about 4 years ago; stomach, around nipples, buttocks, thighs, has now begun on my face, armpit hair is spreading, all normal hair such as arms and legs used to be light blond and is now dark brown and thicker. I'm also getting more and more spots on my back and chest and I've never had them before. I'm eating less and less but still gradually putting weight on, have terribly oily skin that nothing reduces and problems with my scalp flaking until it's red and weeping.
Aside from that I'm completely exhausted and irritable all the time and have literally no sex drive, and doctors all just tell me that as long as my hba1c is ok then I must be fine

No idea any more whether to persevere with trying to get a reason or if it could just be part and parcel of the diabetes (T1)? If the tests showed everything is normal then how come there are so many things that I don't feel are normal that continue to get worse?

Anyone else had this situation?

Charley

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 25. I've questioned the diagnosis a few times. But then I didn't doubt the diagnosis when in my late 20's I had a horrid time with ovarian cysts. I also have always had heavy periods averaging 9 days. I have a lot of skin tags on my body and after a few scopes I was told I also have skin tags inside my body as well. I have had the odd hair show up in weird places and I just pluck them out. As for weight if I put it on I find it very hard to lose it. I was even placed on optifast one time and was told I should've lost double what I did... that was doing 800 calories per day. Now i have medications causing weight gain plus a very restricted diet it is even more frustrating. I've been skinny and at the moment I'm overweight. When I was diagnosed I was told that they didn't need to do the blood tests on me because I had all the symptoms (I was diagnosed by an endocrinologist who also diagnosed me with diabetes the same day). I'm not even sure they've done the blood tests on me since then... can't remember. But I've also been on the pill for years now to stop cysts from forming. I was placed on the pill about 10 years ago in my early 30's. So doing any hormone tests on me whilst on the pill doesn't show anything abnormal as the pill regulates my hormones. I did have one done a couple of years ago. I have had a prolactin problem before though but that was due to wrong combination of meds. This link below is a good link to refer to for symptoms of PCOS:

http://womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/polycystic-ovary-syndrome.html

Last edited by a moderator: