Syringes

bazippy

So im guessing most people use pens, but after a recent visit to boots when the pharmacist was shocked to see a diabetic wanting syringes id thought id ask if many people use them!
I have always used syringes had a few goes with other devices etcetc but syringes win for me!

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I no longer get syringes on prescription but I much, much prefer them to the pens. When I was able to get them I used to use them to draw the insulin out of the vials for the pen! I found them much more accurate and never lost any insulin at the end of injection, I would go back to syringes in a heartbeat

Lorna

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi, I only stopped using them about 2 years ago and that is only because they stopped making Ultratard so I had to arrange a visit to see my DN to get an alternative and she was shocked to see that no one had switched me to pens! But then 2 years ago I didn't carb count or inject more than twice a day so things have defo changed for me :wink:

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i used syringes for a few days after diagnosis and thinking of seeing if i can go back to them to get half measures :D

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
totsy said:
i used syringes for a few days after diagnosis and thinking of seeing if i can go back to them to get half measures :D

If you use pens with cartridges (ie: non disposable) you can get half measures :D

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always have a syringe in my pen case at all times, and have never actually used it. But, I reckon it's essential to have a back up to a pen.

iHs

Debloubed said:
totsy said:

If you use pens with cartridges (ie: non disposable) you can get half measures :D

Totsy

Debs is right. Lilly do a 1/2 unit pen called a Humapen Luxura HD and Novo do one as well called a Junior. Novo will also be launching some time next year I think I new pen called Echo. This will also deliver in 1/2 unit increments and HAS A MEMORY FUNCTION :p This should help to prevent accidentally injecting bolus or basal insulin twice without realising.

The Echo will be a long time coming, but better late than never :mrgreen:

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi,
I am a syringe user, wouldn't have it any other way. I like to see exactly what I'm drawing up and injecting. I've had some problems with pens malfunctioning in the past, so I guess I've learned not to trust them. I did try to switch to a pen for my pork short-acting a while ago;but the pen couldn't deliver 1 unit, and I had to do so many test shots, I was wasting so much of the insulin.

I've had funny reactions from pharmacists, one who suggested that they syringes were only used by diabetics in the third world! I find recently that fewer and fewer pharmacies are actually keeping stock of 0.5ml insulin syringes, which is a pain. It was reassuring to know I could just walk into any chemist and buy a pack for just over a quid if the need arose.

Lorna, why can you not get syringes on prescription any more?
regards
Jus

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i did ask about the novorapid and my chemists dont do it or the others sadly, :?

iHs

They are available on prescription Totsy so ask GP. Sometimes, you also see them on eBay as well. The good thing about pens is that you can get 5mm needles for them whereas with syringes you have got to make do with 8mm I think.

bazippy

I use 5mm syringes(i think), of course you can get them on prescription they are used for a lot of other illnesses so if you want them fight for them.
i love my syringes and wouldnt use pens ever for several reasons but the main 2 reasons for me are this.
1 in using a syringe it draws peoples attentions to what im doing so everyone knows im diabetic and therefore life is that lil bit safer.
2nd they fit along side a pen sized insulin vile inside my compact bloodtest kit, i dont need to carry two kits at once just nice and together as it should be!

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that 1 pen with short acting insulin, a couple of spare cartridges (one of each type of insulin), a spare syringe, blood glucose meter, finger pricking device, a few strips, lancets & pen needles, all fit into a (cheap, unremarkable) pencil case, with room for a couple of plasters and painkillers for other purposes.

jopar

I've used both syringes and pens now I use an insulin pump but I've really haven't got a preferance to either both do the same job, the main advantage is that contral to bazippy comment, I've found that with a pen it isn't assumed that you are a drug addict which is a accusation I've had on several occasions over the years, and yes I have been reguested to leave a campsite that didn't entertain drug addicts!

It is very easy to determin if your insulin pen is deliverying the correct dose of insulin, which I've never found any of my pens to do when I've checked normally after I had dropped them :oops:

It's really up to the individual whether they choose to use a pen or syringe as it's all available on prescription, and if you use a regular chemist to supply your scripts, then they tend to ensure that they have what you use available, I had this when I changed to my insulin pump, as I needed the vials not the cartridges, so at first they would order then then once they knew how many and when they ensure that they are in stock for me...

WhimsicalWays

Hi,

I have had Type 1 for 15 years and I still use syringes exclusively. I have tried pens on 3 occasions (hoping the newest model would be better/ more accurate/ actually deliver all insulin dialed in) and have been disappointed all 3 times. Further, i just feel like I have more control with the syringe - I'm just a big fan. I don't find them annoying, and I do not find them uncomfortable...

I'm sorry to hear that syringes are harder to come by these days. I am in Vancouver, Canada, and have had no issues accessing syringes. Further, I have never had any funny looks/ comments from doctors or pharmacists re: my choice to stick to syringes, so I am sorry for those of you who have experienced it. I think if we are taking care of ourselves who cares how we are doing it, and think medical 'professionals' should be more understanding and considerate about personal choice!

Part of me, however, would like to switch to a pen for convenience - ie: I think it would be nice to inject myself with a pen at the dinner table in a restaurant in public (currently, I go to the bathroom stall to do it - which is fine, but can be inconvenient).

So, pen users, what brand/model do you recommend?