AGFreshh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my name is Edwin
But you can call me AG
I’m 28 and have been T1 Diabetic for 21 years
I’m having a really rough time and am getting quite fed up with everything.
I lost my little toe in May this year and that really almost pushed me into depression, I haven’t been able to tell anyone because all the people I’ve come across don’t seem to understand Diabetes so it’s hard to tell them what’s happening.

I just want people bro compare notes with, people who understand the struggle

* Edited to remove personal information

Last edited by a moderator:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @AGFreshh :)

Welcome to the forum, there's quite a few posts on the forum regarding depression and diabetes so please have a look around, how are you doing day to day with your blood glucose levels, insulin and control ?

Reactions: AGFreshh

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome, I turn 28 in November and will have been Type 1 for 3 years a week before my birthday

I haven't suffered depression as such but have ran into difficulties with being diagnosed, an eating disorder that I've overcome, diabetic macular oedema a month after my diabetes diagnosis etc

Feel free to message me even if you just want a chat :)
xx

AGFreshh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @AGFreshh :)

Welcome to the forum, there's quite a few posts on the forum regarding depression and diabetes so please have a look around, how are you doing day to day with your blood glucose levels, insulin and control ?

My blood sugars are all over the place I have a lot of hypos and I also tend to be quite high a lot too, my insulin, I always make sure I take my Lantus everyday I’m not as good with my novorapid though, I rarely eat aswell

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @AGFreshh - Have you had much support or done any courses ?

Getting your levels stable and in control will help you both mentally and physically, managing type 1 really is all about balancing on a tightrope, I can't think of any other analogy which fits it so well, but as you know keeping your levels in target as much as possible will help improve your outcomes in life. Also having a good diet is really important to simply keep well.

Is there any reason why you don't take your novorapid as you should, is it because you don't test ?

BTW there's a meet up group in London who are a good crowd to get in with, they are on Facebook, t1d London meetups group.

AGFreshh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @AGFreshh - Have you had much support or done any courses ?

Getting your levels stable and in control will help you both mentally and physically, managing type 1 really is all about balancing on a tightrope, I can't think of any other analogy which fits it so well, but as you know keeping your levels in target as much as possible will help improve your outcomes in life. Also having a good diet is really important to simply keep well.

Is there any reason why you don't take your novorapid as you should, is it because you don't test ?

BTW there's a meet up group in London who are a good crowd to get in with, they are on Facebook, t1d London meetups group.

I’ve done the SWEET course, when I did it my control got amazing but I lost control again I’m slowly getting it back but it’s hard

I’ve been testing loads over the past month or so thanks to the freestyle libre it’s just my mental blocks I’m having trouble with

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @AGFreshh I am not familiar with the SWEET course, what do you think helped you in doing this, was it feeling connected to others and being supported ?

Any idea why you're having the mental blocks ?

Getting into a routine is what helps alot of people, so same breakfast, activity levels, going to bed at the same time every night, also keeping a diary to log glucose levels, insulin taken, carbs eaten, it's good to see patterns with your levels as it will help you to act on these.

Do you get regular contact with your diabetic nurse ?

AGFreshh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @AGFreshh I am not familiar with the SWEET course, what do you think helped you in doing this, was it feeling connected to others and being supported ?

Any idea why you're having the mental blocks ?

Getting into a routine is what helps alot of people, so same breakfast, activity levels, going to bed at the same time every night, also keeping a diary to log glucose levels, insulin taken, carbs eaten, it's good to see patterns with your levels as it will help you to act on these.

Do you get regular contact with your diabetic nurse ?

Yeah being connected to others hawkers quite a bit

Yeah I am in regular contact with my diabetic team now, really trying to work with them to get back on track

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
If you like courses then get your team to get you on the DAFNE (dose adjustment for normal eating) course, it's 5 days but well worth it, you're with other t1's so can compare notes and experiences, your insulin gets reviewed over the week so you can make tweaks, adjust insulin etc under the care and guidance of nurses.

Getting over your mental blocks is really important too, be honest with yourself and try to discover what's stopping you, write this in a diary, but please ask for help when you need it, it's a hard battle to fight yourself without the right support but with the knowledge and support it is much easier to manage.

There's always folk here you can chat to, non judgemental but with the same philosophy which is to help you when you need it :)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi my name is Edwin
But you can call me AG
I’m 28 and have been T1 Diabetic for 21 years
I’m having a really rough time and am getting quite fed up with everything.
I lost my little toe in May this year and that really almost pushed me into depression, I haven’t been able to tell anyone because all the people I’ve come across don’t seem to understand Diabetes so it’s hard to tell them what’s happening.

I just want people bro compare notes with, people who understand the struggle

* Edited to remove personal information
We all struggle with diabetes and what comes with it (being on it all the time or feeling ill/guilty because we did not inject/test or whatever. You sound depressed and I am worried that you don't eat - your erratic blood sugars are making you feel worse but this is still not enough to get you over your mental blocks about self care so I'd say help is required and a type 1 diabetic should be a high priority for anything available (I was).
It is a very demanding condition so give yourself kudos for trying and reaching out here. You can get diabuddies here of course and I;ve seen so many threads from young type 1s who struggle.
BTW, at your age or similar, I went on my local DAFNE group and from that found a group of type 1s who were happy to go to the pub every 4-6 weeks or out for a meal. This little group is still going strong after 11 years and it is great to know you can have a drink and talk pumps/fsl and about all of our frustrations plus plenty of politics, sports or whatever too. If it has been a while since your last course, perhaps a refresher could help you re focus and give you someone to vent with? Our little group is in Surrey so message me if you are local so I can give you details.

AGFreshh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We all struggle with diabetes and what comes with it (being on it all the time or feeling ill/guilty because we did not inject/test or whatever. You sound depressed and I am worried that you don't eat - your erratic blood sugars are making you feel worse but this is still not enough to get you over your mental blocks about self care so I'd say help is required and a type 1 diabetic should be a high priority for anything available (I was).
It is a very demanding condition so give yourself kudos for trying and reaching out here. You can get diabuddies here of course and I;ve seen so many threads from young type 1s who struggle.
BTW, at your age or similar, I went on my local DAFNE group and from that found a group of type 1s who were happy to go to the pub every 4-6 weeks or out for a meal. This little group is still going strong after 11 years and it is great to know you can have a drink and talk pumps/fsl and about all of our frustrations plus plenty of politics, sports or whatever too. If it has been a while since your last course, perhaps a refresher could help you re focus and give you someone to vent with? Our little group is in Surrey so message me if you are local so I can give you details.

Wow thanks

Really trying to find something similar