1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

T1 carb counting

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Hilary52, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Hilary52

Hilary52 · Well-Known Member

Hi there. I have been type1 for 20 years and realised reading forum that I dont count my carbs In relation to amount of injection it's very confusing reading all the posts on here!!! How much carbs should I have per 1 unit if novo rapid? Is it total carbs as says on packets or do I have to work out more according to fibre and sugars ?

Much appreciated

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. Mikegray0001

Mikegray0001 · Member

3. Hilary52

Hilary52 · Well-Known Member

Thanks. Is that the total carb listing on packets e.g. Cereal ? I don't have to take into account sugar and starch on label?

4. katto

katto · Well-Known Member

It may not be 1unit for 10g of carb for everyone. You may need more if you have been diagnosed for a while or you may require different ratios at different times of the day. I require far more insulin in the morning than the evening for example.

5. Pilgrim22

Pilgrim22 LADA · Well-Known Member

Hi Hilary, yes, it' the total carb amount you use. :)

6. picklebean

picklebean Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's definitely not as simple as 1unit for 10g of CHO!

I used to have to take 2units for every 10g of CHO. Since being on victoza, it went down to 2units for every 15g of CHO and now it's nearer 1 unit for 10g. And your requirements can definitely change throughout the day so the ratio will change.

It's a matter of trial and error and checking your sugar levels to see how it works for you.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook