T1 Diabetes and Contraception

mmackay20040

Hi there,
I'm just looking for some advice/similar experiences/sharing with any T1 diabetics out there who have had problems with contraception? We're limited to what we can try and I've tried everything I know that is available to me but everything is causing problems :cry: . Can anyone empathise with this? Any advice? What worked for you? Obviously, having no contraception bar condoms isn't an ideal situation for a Diabetic unless trying for a baby... :?

Someone must be able to shed some advice/understanding on the situation?!

Cheers,

Marie xxx

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
What limits are you working with?

For me, the pill was great, but now i'm on Norplant.
I'm good for the next 3 years :)

What sort of problems with what contraception are you having?
The copper coil is good for people who can't take hormones, but i've heard some nighmares about those things. It's put me off personally.

mmackay20040

Thanks for getting back to me. I've tried the combined pill, the minipill, the implant, the coil, the injections and everything just makes me bleed constantly! I've run out of options! Just wanted to know if anyone had any other experiences/advice?

M xxx

lionrampant

Doesn't sound like a diabetic problem specifically. Going by what you said, there are no other options save the contraceptive patch - but all that does is deliver a dose of the pill via the skin.

Has anyone ever given you a definitive answer why these methods have such an effect on you?

mmackay20040

No, noone's ever given me an explanation! It's very frustrating! I know it's not a diabetes related problem, but just wondered what others were doing.

Nevermind, I'll just have to keep looking for answers!

Marie xxx

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Implanon might be a good try, that's what i used. Norplant was an old nightmare implant...
It uses a low level of hormones, and there are no residual effects once you take it out.
It can cause irregular periods, but it can cause none.

My last one was 7 months ago. I didn't get along with the pill either, although not as bad as you.

Have you tried a copper coil? No hormones at all.
Also, which mini pill did you use? Some of my friends use the new third gen ones, can be taken any time within an 8hr window and still 97% effective.

lionrampant

mmackay20040 said:
No, noone's ever given me an explanation! It's very frustrating! I know it's not a diabetes related problem, but just wondered what others were doing.

Nevermind, I'll just have to keep looking for answers!

Marie xxx

Not being a woman I can't fully appreciate the nuances of the problem, but I'd definitely suggest seeking out an explanation from your G.P or at least a referral to someone with more expertise.

mmackay20040

Thanks for your responses. I've had implanon and I'd bleed for 6 weeks, have 5 free days then bleed for a further 6 weeks so on and so forth! Had the coil and had horrific pain in my stomach and also heavy irregular prolonged bleeding. Can't have the coppor coil as I suffer from ridiculously heavy and painful periods! Help!!! :|

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi, as a sufferer of extremely heavy periods I sympathise. However, regarding contrection, I have never used anything since being with my husband. I know when I ovulate and we've just been very careful, it's worked for me for nearly 20 years. However I always got a funny reaction from health visitors each time I had child,(3, all planned),but I found it equally absurd that they should be suggesting the combined pill to a type-1, with a family history of heart disease. I didn't feel it was worth the risk.
I did try a couple of pills this year, to ease my heavy periods, but suffered weight gain,painful breasts and breakthrough bleeding that lasted 5 weeks, so gave up on that!
Contreception-wise, if my husband gets frisky around ovulation-time, I use the "Grange Hill" method -Just Say No!! :D
I hope you find the right method to suit you.
Have you been offered the Mirena Coil? I was told by my gynae it's good for heavy periods.
Jus

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried the Mirena? It's a coil with progesterone implanted into it. It doesn't affect your whole system, just your uterus, and one of the side effects is no periods. Bonus! Nearly every female Midwife and Gynae nurse I know uses it.

Here's one link that looks like the info is correct

http://www.womens-health.co.uk/mirena.asp

wiflib

mmackay20040

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Yes it's the Mirena coil I've just had removed :| Looks like I'll just have to be extremely careful!

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Hi, I don't have diabetes and can't take any of those hormone type pills etc without bleeding. I was told they caused me to get cervical erosion and that was the reason for the bleeding. If I ever am in a relationship ever again I think I will just get my tubes tied or send him for the snip. I have a 14 yr old child and Khaleb (see pic) who has Down syndrome. I wont go back for more kids.

Jen.