T1 diabetes in the family?

Rosieice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Newly diagnosed at age 26 with T1. Around 3 months now. Wanted to know if there is a history of diabetes running in your family? No one that i know has diabetes, doctors are surpised, and want to do more tests on me. Is it that uncommon getting diagnosed over 25 years? This is my first time posting here, have been reading for a while and wow this forum has answered alot of questions that no doctor can answer! Thank you :)

Reactions: 12 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi There Rosieice
welcome to the forum:)
I was diagnosed in 1972 and there was no history in the family ( I was 14 )

next was a cousin on my dad's side aged 21 ( type 1) in 1981
my dad's brother aged 43 type 2 in 1990
my dad ( type 2 ) in 1998 aged 63
my dad's older brother in 2008 aged 76

how are you coping Rosie ? make sure to keep posting on here as there are lots of great people to assist with any question you might have.
take care and be well

all the best

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 23 and got diagnosed 1 year and two months ago, as far as I'm aware I'm first ever person In my family with type 1.
I guess both of us are just super lucky.

Reactions: 4 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another one in the super lucky club: I'm 61 now, and was diagnosed T1 at the age of 29. There was no hint of it in my family or extended family. Hi Rosieice and welcome to the forum. :)

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am the only one in my family with type 1 diabetes - no history , was diagnosed aged 24 :(

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi There Rosieice
welcome to the forum:)
I was diagnosed in 1972 and there was no history in the family ( I was 14 )

next was a cousin on my dad's side aged 21 ( type 1) in 1981
my dad's brother aged 43 type 2 in 1990
my dad ( type 2 ) in 1998 aged 63
my dad's older brother in 2008 aged 76

how are you coping Rosie ? make sure to keep posting on here as there are lots of great people to assist with any question you might have.
take care and be well

all the best
This is like my family. I was diagnosed aged 5, in 1967. After me, my grandfather got Type 2, then his daughter (my aunt) and his son (my dad). Then my sister got Type 1 aged 33. And they say Type 1 and 2 are 'not related'. Maybe. Or maybe all the Type 2s in my family were really LADA or something.

Anyway, at least everyone stopped being so know-it-all!

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
it is a real b*tch being the frontrunner @RuthW i have found -:eek::D:)

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
just one other Type one relative, now, but none when i was diagnosed - but then, i was born less than 30 years after insulin became available. Also, do you have any relatives with thyroid disease, vitiligo, pernicious anaemia ? All these are so related that when one of my relatives got one they were regularly tested for the others. Some other autoimmune diseases are also related, as is the tendency, in some families, to be more likely to get autoimmune disease.

Tfqleeds

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! .... I was diagnosed in September, I was 30 in July. The first and only person in my family to have type one or any medical condition for that matter. Why some people develop it and others don't is a complete mystery.... we all seem to very good looking and intelligent though...

Reactions: 9 people

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed in 1998 when I was 1 and I'm 18 now. Their was no kind of diabetes in the family and their still isn't now. I'm the first person in my family to have any kind of health problem! And to top it off I was dealt a double whammy and have Epilepsy too...

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed one year ago at the age of 40 docs were baffled too ! No history of diabetes either in my family

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed on my 8th birthday... Possibly an aunt was? Who knows... My dad was diagnosed T2 many years later in his mid 70s..

My wife told me the other day her new boss has a daughter recently diagnosed T1 in her mid 20s.. My answer? It happens...

It's more easier to reason with than being abducted by aliens....

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was the first in my family, then my cousin was diagnosed with T1 around 5 years later. There is, however, a long list of auto-immune conditions in my family, including vitaligo, rheumatoid arthritis and thyroid issues, as well as type 1. Spot the link...

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed T1 10 months ago also at age 26. No history of diabetes (either T1 or T2) in my family whatsoever.

johncon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm the 3rd of 4 children. All 4 of us have T1. No history of it in either side of the family until we got it. 2 elder sisters and myself all aged 9, younger brother aged 4.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My uncle on my mum's side was type 1 and rumours are his mum, my nan, had it, but unsure about that, she died when my mum and uncle were about 5 and 6 years old. My little granddaughter has it too :-(

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was 24 when diagnosed with Type 1 and was the first in the family with diabetes. Two years later, a very overweight uncle was diagnosed with Type 2. His brother (also overweight) was diagnosed with Type 2, several years after that.

About 20 years after I was diagnosed, my oldest brother was told he had Type 2 and, a few years after that, another brother was also diagnosed with Type 2. Neither of them was overweight.

My cousin's grandson was diagnosed with Type 1 about 5 years ago, aged 6, and another cousin's son was diagnosed with Type 1 two years ago, aged 27.

The uncles and cousins are all from my mother's side of the family, so it looks like both Type 1 and 2 run on that side.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am also the first and only Type 1 in the family...diagnosed when I was 26. I'm told that my grandfather on my dads side was Type 2 but no one seems to be able to confirm that either way.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Newly diagnosed at age 26 with T1. Around 3 months now. Wanted to know if there is a history of diabetes running in your family? No one that i know has diabetes, doctors are surpised, and want to do more tests on me. Is it that uncommon getting diagnosed over 25 years? This is my first time posting here, have been reading for a while and wow this forum has answered alot of questions that no doctor can answer! Thank you :)
We are in a very similar situation. I'm 27 and was diagnosed about 5 weeks ago with type 1.

No one in my family has a history of type 1. Although there are a few people in my family that developed type 2 from their bad lifestyle choices (poor diet, lack of exercise, years of smoking, etc).